HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tuning problems
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Olink

Default RE: Tuning problems

Paper tuning often tells you alot more about the shooter andarrows than it does about the bow.

Here's my suggestions. With a dropaway rest, I like to papertune with only bareshafts (I feel confident that fletch clearance won't be a problem.) I've never seen centershot be off much more than a 1/16" either way. If your tear is good and you are far from the published centershot, something else wrong. As suggested by someone else, check the idler lean. There is good thread about this on the Mathews forum. Next I would check arrows.With what you listed, you shouldn't have spine problems, but try rotating nocks. Sometimes a shaft will have a prominent spline and depending how it lines up with the nock it can give a bad tear.

If you still can't find the cause, look to yourself. Try some different grip/hand positions. Then try some different releases. I once learned a big lesson here. I was using a Scott Rhino release to paper tune, and had a left tear I couldn't get rid of. So I tried my Carter Quickie and TruBall Short N Sweet. Same left tear. On a whim Ipulled outmy Carter Evolution. Perfect bullet hole. Then I tried a TruBall 3D Thumb Pull. Perfect bullet hole. I went back to one of my wrist strap releases, and presto, the tear is back. So, with a wrist strap release, I had a tear, with a hand held release a perfect hole. The cause? When I shot with a wrist strap release, I placed my trigger finger tight against the body of the release and this must have been putting some torque on the system. I moved my finger out to the end of the trigger and the tear was gone.