Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

How was everybody's season?

Old 12-31-2005, 05:38 PM

Default How was everybody's season?

As it's winding down, just thought I'd ask. Most in our area of KY had bad years as far as deer sightings went. Very few good bucks sighted and only one big one seen. This is a 1700 acre QDM farm and only one buck was taken. Everyone seems to think it was the combination of hot temps, a bumper crop of acorns and a trickle rut all coming together to keep buck movement to a minimum. The does didn't move far to eat either. Last year they were everywhere and this year, just seemed to be here and there. Couldn't get a pattern on them at all. How about you guys?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:58 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How was everybody's season?

It's been another good year up in ND. Tyler ( dagger buck 2 ) and I have been very fortunate with getting bucks in range. Tyler passed on some good ones waiting for a really nice one. He really has learned a lot this year by being selective. Choice is his and he may eathis tag. He has had a blast though. As much as I would like to see him get a buck with bow, we have had a great bow season.

We have till next weekend for him to hunt but he has been sick the last half week. Hopefully he will pull it off.

Right now I am trying to fill my doe tag. The irony is that the bucks keep screwing it up for me. The 2.5 and 3.5 year old are still trolling for does big time here. Hunting on the ground has it challenges to start with in our open terrainbut these bucks are a pain. A very enjoyable pain watching them, seeing fights and wishing Tyler was feeling better to experience it... but they keep the does jumpy and moving with their bad boy ways. The doesare jumpy enough from making it through rifle and muzzle loading season. Tough to pull stalks or even get close to bedding areas as the bucksare constantly trolling. I am having a blast though and wouldn't trade it for anything. Turned into a real challenge now!! My Sept buck was a piece of cake to this.Who ever said hunting doesisn't a challenge didn't know what they are taking about??

Tim
Old 01-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I get to make tag soup out of my buck tag. Never got the right shot on the right critter!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shut up!!! [:@]

Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another great year regardless of a filled tag. http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/fieldjournal.aspx?id=58
Old 01-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

I get to make tag soup out of my buck tag. Never got the right shot on the right critter!
I'm looking for some new tag soup recipes, if you have a good one to share, let me know.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:00 PM

best season saw 3 pope and young shot 2 antleredless
Old 01-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

I think I did well. Got 10 bowhunting altogether. 5 does, 2 buttons & 3 bucks.
Got the last 2 bucks friday a spike & a 3 pointer that shoulda been a 6. Gave 4 away & have a bunch of meat. All 3 bucks were in January, totally post rut scrounging for food.