HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2005-deer-hunting-contest-bow-72/)
-   -   Official Team Bag Em & Drag Em (29) Thread (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2005-deer-hunting-contest-bow/111204-official-team-bag-em-drag-em-29-thread.html)

PAhunterJEN 09-10-2005 09:07 PM

RE: Official Team (29) Thread

Gotta get a half dozen arrows myself. I was having some real problems with inconsistency for a while but I'm sure I have it all under control now. I have two robin hoods under my belt - the arrows glanced off the end of the other arrows breaking the nocks off and splitting the ends of the arrows. This is at 20 yards. I'm not quite as confident at 30 yrds. yet and the bowyer at the shop told me my bow isn't powerful enough to shoot any further than that. That's ok by me as I like to have the deer right up close. I'll be getting my deercam pics tomorrow - can hardly wait!!!
Had two fawns in the yard this morning. They've just about lost their spots with getting their winter coats on. I guess they were looking for the salt lick which we are required to remove 30 days before the season starts.
I road the ATV in the woods today and I found the beginnings of a nice rub not too far from my stand. It should be within shooting distance I believe.

Illinois Bowhuntin 09-10-2005 09:58 PM

See Jen.I told ya you will get your first buck this year.I bet it will be a dandy too.I have to wait until after work Monday to get some nrew arrows.No need to drive all the way up there just for a dozen arrows.I am working not too far from there next couple weeks so i will get them after work.I havent really found any rubs just yet.But it is only a matter of time.I do not want to disrupt the bucks i am after by going in and spooking them.I know where they are coming out of the woods so I am set.I dont want to venture to close to where they are yet.I know of one place but I want to wait until the pre rut to set a stand up there.It will be teaming with Bucks and turkey when I am ready to hunt it.Creek crossing looks like a cattle crossing where they cross.I know there is plenty of traffic there when it is time.

eightwgt 09-11-2005 06:50 AM

Illinois -a new dozen goldtips huh ? Good arrows - my choice also. Before you split them into hunting / practice arrows try them all out with broadheads - spin test EVERY one you may only find a couple that spin true. I then shoot those with a broadhead to be sure and CONFIDENT they shoot straight out to 40 yards. I shoot Magnus Stinger 4 blades, and Steel Force... I like both but definately prefer the magnus heads.
Good to practice out to 60 - I practice to 50 but close to hunting I practice at 30-40 mainly, then I do a lot of '3 second shots' at 20 yds. Whats a 3 second shot ? I count out loud one-one-thousand, two-one........,etc as I draw and shoot. This is because I do not stop deer when I shoot - so it gets me primed for a quick shot.
I also get in my one arrow practice mode.... I will go out and shoot one arrow every day right after work(I practice more later) and I make it count like a shot at big game - why ? Better mental readiness. If you consistantly miss the FIRST shot - whats going to happen in a tree stand ? You got it..... If you dont hit a bulls eye every time - more practice required.....

Just some things to chew on.......

Illinois Bowhuntin 09-11-2005 08:17 AM

This is some good pointers.I had a buddy show up yesterday and he said ok first shot dont count.I shot my first and scored a perfectly placed shot between the heart and the lungs.he hit it in the gut.I didint say what I was thinking bud I knew he probably knew I was thinking it.I have never had a problem with my gold tips this is why i buy them year after year.I can buy a box and bring them home line my broadheads up with the vains and have no problems with groupings and such.I also take quick shots.My method is drawing higher then the deer.bringing bow down to the target.When the appropiate pin hits the taget I release.This takes only about 4 seconds from the time I start my draw until I release.I do shot atleast a few arrows every day after I get my shower after work.I am heading out in a couple hours to move a stand from one property to another then I come back home and relax for the day.No shooting no anything.Just going to do some reading and have a good day.Then tomorrow it is back to my work all day shot for awhile in the evening before dinner.

eightwgt 09-11-2005 08:52 AM

Another note....

This is my opinion and I am sure people would argue but.....

Aligning your vanes with your broadhead is a complete waste of time. Spend the time to make sure the broadhead does not wobble when you spin it - THAT matters. If your bow is tuned as it should be I can promise you no matter what the broadheads will hit where you aim. I can shoot my bow at 20,30 yards with a bare shaft and field point - and it hits right where I aim and straight in - thats a tuned bow. My bow will shoot any broadhead also..... perfectly. By the way NEVER shoot a bare shaft from more than 15 feet until you KNOW 100% if the bow is tuned. Shooting a bare shaft (no vanes attached) will show every shooting form error, every bow set up error, and show if your shafts are over or under spined. Also NEVER shoot ANY broadhead with a bare shaft - never.
<<=========================<<<<& lt;<

Just a lil more to chew on.....

Illinois Bowhuntin 09-11-2005 09:05 AM

That should go without saying.But I have seen some paper test with broadheads being used.If you look at the paper tuning section here in huntingnet then you will see that the tests were done with a broadhead.Unless it was just a demonstration drawing instead of actual shots.I cant remember.I also seen some wobble in my arrow here lately.I think it may have gotten knocked around some buy the kids playing in tha basement.I am getting ready to switch from a whisker biscuit to a drop away.So I will be resighting my bow as well as paper tuning it.I may just have the bow shop tune it when I buy my rest.I can drop it off during lunch at the bow shop and pick it up after work.Then all i have to do is sight it in.
Got a question.What do you all think about slide sights.I have one and am thinking about using it.But the problem is. I am a little worried about having the time to adjust it for the distance I need before the deer going past my shooting lane.HAve any of you used one fo these sights before.I like it mostly for the low light visibility more then anything.Or should I just go and buy a 3 pinned sight with more optics in it for better visibility?

Illinois Bowhuntin 09-11-2005 09:10 AM

Oops forgot about my other dilema.I am seeing some awesome bucks.I am just curious as to what you all would think about the buck option I have on one of my hunting properties.I have 2 bcks one is WIDE and the other is tall.I am not sure what one I want to shoot.They both oare great bucks.I have some tall mounts but eh problem with the wide is he isnt real tall.I havent gotten close enough to him to know how many points he has but I like the width.The tall buck is TALL he is a great looking 8 pointer.I am sure I wont shoot either one of these bucks until after I get my monster from another place I hunt.But either way i would put both of these bucks on my wall.
If you all had a choice which would you shoot.A wide antlered buck or a tall antlered buck??

eightwgt 09-11-2005 09:52 AM

If you are going for score = go for the tall one.... tall tines equal a larger score than a wide rack.....

Regarding your questions.

The drop away is a good bet - When are you going to do it ? Do it now! The sooner the better. You do not want to make an equipmentchange in the heat of the season....If you let the bowshop tune your bow fine - BUT be sure to shoot it there - YOU shoot the paper test. This will show form errors also....

Read more on the paper tuning - paper tuniong is done with a field point. Do not do it until you understand it and remember this - you have to be sure to not grip bow tight (which you should never do) or have other form flaws as it will mess you up.... Have an archery pro help.

If ya need more help call me - 904-537-5255

Tom

Illinois Bowhuntin 09-11-2005 10:08 AM

Thanks Tom I appriciate it very much.I dont wanna know my form flaws LOL too many to work on LOL.No seriously.I know the pro at the bow shop.He is as good as they get.He is also a pro 3d shooter.I have worked with him many times before.He says I have good form and the guy who got me into shooting a bow thought I had been shooting for awhile.He said I was a natural with it.I think of myself as a pretty darn good bow hunter.I love it so much I have given up on gun shooting alltogether.A family member death also made it easier for me.Step father who i considerd my dad shot himself with one of my guns he had at his house.I got rid of them all the following week.He had them there because I was more into bow hunting then gun hunting.I still to this day use a barrell lock on my bow and my step son's bow when they are hanging inthe living room.No one can raw a bow unless I am there in this house.
I know not to use anything but target points to paper tune.I iwll shoot my bow after I pick it up at the bow shop to make sure I like how it is shooting.It will save me a lot of time in letting him do most of the work for me.I am buying a new drop away next weekend.That will give me 2 full weeks of taregt practice before ehading into the woods for opening day.
As for the wide and tall bucks.I am going to try to get a better look at the wide one this evening.If he has more points then he willscore just as well if not more then the tall buck.I have tried several times to get close enough for some video but havent been able to yet.I do believe that I can get something this evening.I may have to set up in the middle of the beans.It all depends on my pre season scouting and getting the looks at the bucks I am watching.I have work to do and running out of time to do it.I like getting my big bucks early in the season when they are still on there feeding pattern.I have the perfect spot for pre rut .In between 3 doe bedding area'sI knwo I will see more then I am ready for when it comes.So i may hold out on shooting a good buck until then.If all else fails I have the late season to take a monster when they go back to stocking up for winter.

Illinois Bowhuntin 09-11-2005 10:08 AM

I am going into the chat room meet me in there if you see this message.