Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team "Double X" (20)

Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team "Double X" (20)

Ryan,

Thanks bud, I really feel for anyone that has lost a loved one lately.....and 10-4 on the selling process, especially since I had logged it all this past summer and had poorweather conditions keeping me from burning all the slash until this past month. In other words I was really pinched for time to be compliant, but got it done with a lot of late nights on the dozer...

Ryan, I absolutely can not wait for you guys to come out for elk, Dee, the boys and I will be working on our place all summer hopefully to have it ready for you guys, thats our goal. We are adding on about a 750 sq foot Vaulted room for head mounts! LOL actually its Dee's new living and dining room.

The new shop ( pole barn)will be mine! I am going to equip it with a minimum of 2,880lb hoists for elk! Walk in homemade freezer and a bunk house...32x48...Now its up to us guys to get some meat hanging over that hunt! Our current little farm house should turn out pretty decent. ITs nothing fancy , but I love it !

Take care bud,
Old 05-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Fork Horn

Hey how is everyone doing? It has been a while since I have been on. I have been busy as usual and it is hard to find time to get on. Congrats to all of you that killed a longbeard this spring glad to see you were successful. I hope you all have a great summer and I will try to stay in touch more offten.

William
Old 05-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

William - did you get a chance totry that european mount? Post some pictures of the finished product if you did.

Rybo - check your pm box on huntingpa re: turkey hunting.

Troy - how's the father-in-law? Are you building that pole barn yourself, or hiring a contractor? 750 square foot room with vaulted ceiling? That's HUGE! The boys will go bananas in there. Those high ceilings will allow them to play some nerf basketball so they can work on schooling their old man in a couple years.

Well guys, with turkey season winding up and the antlers sprouting, it's time to start getting ready for fall '06. I was out at the farm where I deer hunt, and I was able to glass 5 different bucks, 3 small ones, and two good ones. The biggest of the group had shed all of his winter fat and his winter coat. He was looking very lean like a thoroughbred, with a boxy front end and big light bulbs at his ears. Lots of growth potential on that guy.

It looks like the fields will all flip-flop from soybean to corn and vice versa. Good news, b/c my stand placement will be in PRIMO position with a cornfield adjacent to my acorn flat. Last year, the deer tended to stay concentrated on the other end of the property where all the cornfields were at. The cornstalks are about 2-5 inches tall right now. It's only a matter of time now.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow have things been crazy, I am not sure how I stayed in touch during hunting season. I think it is just making time to post messages. I have some pic.s of the turkey, here they are
21 lbs
4 3/4" beard
3/4" spurs

Old 05-27-2006, 01:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

For a fourth time, with a little luck

NOTE THE SHIRT ON THAT DAY
Old 05-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice bird. Congrats.
I ended up not putting my tag on one this year although I had some action thru out the season. Quick and I were able to get together for a copuple hunts this spring, he's got some real nice hunting areas.
Now its time for some bass fishing, bow shooting and getting in shape for september.
Hope everyone is having a good start to summer out there.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Turk! AR....

Quick/Ryan... I am glad you guys got to hook up this season for turkeys. Ryan, hope you enjoyed the season, despite not filling the tag, I am sure you did. A pic of Jess and I with our turk is on my latest Journal. Sorry about the quality...we were drenched at the time..

Elk sheds are piling up. Its been a good spring. I am putting together a final shed hunting journal...after I hit one more area. I have some big souths to run. Nicest set I have picked up so far is a 350 inch set...giving it a 40 inchy spread credit.

Sturgeon fishing was slow this past weekend, we did land one oversize...7 footer...

It wont be long and the contest sign ups will be out..! Before we know if fellas we will be back out there..! I can't wait to start scouting bucks seriously.... about mid June...Antler growth will be pretty evident by then. I saw 3 bucks this morning driving to work, it got the blood going...two of which had the starts to their g-2s already...

I don't think I am going to spend much more time hunting bear, I just paid for my last springs rug...I may go in one more time looking for thebig color phase. I have passed up a few young bears... If I ever baited that beararea, it would be crazy...in there...but I am not interested in hunting over bait piles. Don't have nothing against it, I just enjoy hunting them on their own terms..

Well guys, its good to hear from you all. Get those bows out..I am exactly 3 months away from my opener!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Troy,
Yea I had a good time this turkey season.A little frustrated with the weather at times. Called a couple in while carrying the bow and the shots just didn't work out. Had decent action otherwise, just couldn't bring them in the final distance. As always had some up close encounters with deer and other wildlife. My one area is overrun with deer.

I was wondering how your bear hunting was going. The rest of my summer will be spent fishing, shooting and jogging. These 3 months are going to go by quick.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

AR - nice bird. Don't be fooled into thinking that you killed ajakeby the short beard. That bird is at least two years old. See how his tailfan is uniform in the pictures? A jake will have an uneven fan with the feathers in the middle being 2-3" longer than the rest. Also, his spurs are long, and he has some good weight. All indicators of a 2+ year old.

I've been reading a lot about how their beards break off, and it's more common than you might think. That guy was definitely a victim of beard breakage.

Anyway, I'm glad you had a good time turkey hunting, and if you ever get the urge, feel free to make a weekend trip to PA to do some turkey hunting with Rybo and I.
Old 06-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, I was thinking... with the 2006 contest fast approaching, I better get those rattling antlers out to you guys. I will start matching up sheds now that I am pretty much done whitetail shed hunting.

One other thing...for you guys that would rather have a nice elk shed with the BOWHUNTING CHAMPS, Your nameetc.....inscribed... instead of a set of Rattling antlers..let me know... I know some of you guys dont get to see to many elk sheds, I have plenty..and will be glad to doone or theotherfor you. I wont be shipping out any of my 350 class elk sheds..but I have several nice 5x and 6x sides... for that ...let me know guys..

Elk shed or Rattles...

On another note.... I thoroughly enjoyed being your captain last year, and would be honored to stay on as captain.....but I got to thinking... I would gladly step aside and let someone else take over the duties.... Several of you guys put a lot of time in here... and are equally or more deserving than myself... you guys let me know...

Have a good one teammates..! I am buying a sweet camper today ..28 footer... sleeps 8, air, electric and gas both, ...shower..extremely well taken care of and very clean1999 model by fleetwood..... Ryan and Mike... this might end up being your sleeping quarters...come Sept..if the addition isnt finished by then! I am getting pretty amped for our elk hunt...and I have picked up some dandy sheds.... from our hunting areas...(next field journal)

Last I took the plunge..I just ordered a Leaf River IR DIGITAL... scouting camera! Also on my new items..the new SS snuffer heads....! had a buck in my back yard this morning at daylight...life is good! LOL

Take care teammates..

Troy

Quick Reply: Official Team "Double X" (20)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.