2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 10-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

John--When I get me my big deer,you can get me a beer----lol

Sorry guys,havent been on in a few days.With me hunting half of last week in the morns and working the afternoon shift from 3-11.I get home and I am so tired,I have to get my beauty sleep.Running on maybe 4 hours sleep a night then work and repeating.Wife is getting mad at me,says I am going to wear myself down.---lol
Better to be in the woods then sitting on the couch waiting to go to work

I am starting to see more deer moving now as the weather has been real nice for the last 3 days.I have found a few fresh scrapes and 1 tree that is just shreaded.Good size tree I might add.One scrape has drag marks all through it,real impressive.This morning I had a nice 6 point on the trail in front of me.He was sniffing around and brousing.I was curious to see what he would do when I grunted at him.Well,he just looked my way and kept on walking.Maybe 5 minutes later a big doe appears from behind me and walks the fence line to the thicker bush.I am really starting to get pumped up.The deer are starting to move a little more during day lite hours.All this happened around 8 this morn.
I was talking to my bud on friday.His girlfriend's dad is the one that owns the acreage that I mostly hunt on.Well he comes home from his midnight shift(same plant I work at)makes a coffee,lites up a smoke he says and sits on the couch to watch a little TV before bed.Directly behind his house is a big field,bordered by the corn field I told you guys about.Well anyways just as he got off the couch to let the dog out he hears banging and clattering.He looks into the field and not 100 yards away 2 big bucks are fighting and going at it he said for almost 40 min.Then they just dissappeared into the corn field.He isnt a hunter,but understands it,grew up in a hunting family.Just never had the interest.He will ask for a few steaks once and a while though---lol.----Anyways as I am making this long story even longer----I was sitting in the stand at the other end of the corn field for a while and decided to get out for a walk and check some areas out before I headed home for work.Wouldent you know,they headed in the field approximately the same time I left----just my luck
I am putting some serious time in,and its a matter of time I get my chance at a decent buck.I will be going out early tomorrow afternoon till dark at another one of my spots on a different farm.Hopefully something shows itself and offers a shot.
SIDEWAYS----lol---girls are like magnets to 15 year old boys.When he is finished chasing them around he will have lots of time to hunt with dad.
Good luck on your morning hunt and let us know how you make out bud.

Chuck---Do you hunt out of any treestands?---or are the ground blinds your preference?
Glad to hear you are seeing lots of does.Will be a matter of time a buck will show up and offer you a shot--good luck to you.
Antler Eater----hows the hunting going?seeing any shooters yet?has the pre-rut started in your area.
Like I said earlier--2 bucks fighting,a few rubs and scrapes,but are not responding to my rattling,grunting,and even trying the doe bleats from the can,and nothing.I cant figure this out and its almost november.Anyways things will fall into place soon.I will keep putting in lots of time till I bag me a buck----just need some luck----lol
Lets hear from everyone and hear how there weekend is going.
Good luck to all you guys and I'll be back tomorrow to let you know how the evening hunt goes,hopefully even have a few pics to post.
OHBowhunter---You get that buck of yours scored yet.?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Went out yesterday, nice chill in the air butthe winds were howling all day long. they finally died down around 5:45pm.
I did see a small spike in the morning, nothing else the rest of the day.
I got down around 11:30am to look around and my mock scrape had a couple of hoof prints and looked like it had been checked out, so that was a good sign.
I did not see any other sign, that does concern me, but I have seen deer every time I have been out so far.
Hopefully I will get back out Wens evening.
Good luck to everyone.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:51 PM

I got back earlier today from t zone hunting. Opening morning I grunted in and shot a 110" 9 pointer at 50 yards. It was exciting. He is a main frame 8 pointer with a split brow tine. This was with a gun but hopefully I will get one with a bow pretty soon. Sometime I am going to post some picsof it under the Deer Hunting forum. Good luck guys.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:30 AM

Congrats 24/7!!! That's cool. So you can get two bucks or more in Wisc. - depending on if you take them with different weapons, I'm guessing?

SIDEWAYS, Good luck. At least you are seeing deer. Have seen some bucks - but not while hunting - and about 1/4 mile away from my main hunting grounds. I plan to be out this weekend for firearms with my orange and my bow. Hopefully the gun hunters will push some of the bucks around. I plan on setting up along doe trails that I know(from last year)are a good ways away from where most of the gun hunters will be. With my binoculars last year, I did watch a nice buck give the neighbor the slip through the area I'm going to set up in.

Extreme, sounds like a promising spot. Hopefully you'll get one of them! I have one ladder stand, a pop-up blind, and several natural blindsI built. I have been using the blind a lot lately because it was easy for me to slip into quickly for an hour and a half after work. And I can make less noise getting into it in the morning as it is near a doe bedding area - or at least I see a lot of does coming out of there in the morning. Anyway, I do prefer the blind, and it's nice to pull up stakes and take it tothe wildlifes that I've also hunted because they're mostly grassland and sloughs with trees that aren't very big or good for stands. I think I will buy a couple of cheaper but good quality ladder stands for next year too so I can have more options on our property.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Hey guys hows everyone doing? Well i hope everyone is doing alright. I just got light after not having power for 8 days. Hurricane Wilma really got us good. We had curfue (SP)at 8 p.m because it got our power plant and we had NO light at all in the whole city. We were complete dark, no lights worked for miles not even the street poles. First time in my life i have seen so many stars in the city. Were finally kind of getting back to normal and im so happy i can finally have a hot shower lol. And some cold A/C at night. Well guys hunt hard and be safe.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Newb, glad to hear you are alright.
What part of Fla. are you in?
Florida has had more than it's share of storm's the past year.
Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.
Take care
Old 11-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hello guys.Been working and hunting hard.Been out almost everyday except today.My truck is in the shop getting a new exhaust manifold and some regular maintenance.My buddy is driving this week as we alternate weeks.My wife dosnt get home till 5:30.I really hate this time change.I get off work at 3,get home around 3:25,clean up,drive to hunting spot and maybe have a little over an hour before dark.I really look forward to the weekends.Seems the afternoon shift offers me more time to hunt.I really enjoy hunting the mornings.
I have been seeing deer,just not any shooters,and mostly not in range.
I will be at the camp all next week with the gang.Its rifle season here,and I have been hunting with the same group of guys for 17 years.I really enjoy getting away from it all.When the rifle hunt is over I will be back at it with the bow.We have till the end of December to bow hunt.I will also bow hunt the second week of rifle season with my camo and orange vest on.
Hopefully we will hear from everyone the week I am gone and give me lots of reading to do when I get home the following saturday.
SIDEWAYS---have you found any sign in your area recently?How did you make out tonight?
24/7---CONGRATS to ya.I sure cant wait to see the pics of the 9 pointer you got
Chuck---I do agree with the convenience of a ground blind.I am seriously thinking of getting one next year for some of the field edges I hunt.For now,I just tuck myself up against a pine or cedar and sit still.You probably already told us the brand of the blind but for the life of me I cant remember----was it the dog house?
NewbHunter-----sure is nice to hear from you and glad everything is O.K.
We had an ice storm a few years back and nocked the power out for days as well.Some people never had heat and others were lucky enough to have a wood stove and generators.I'll tell ya it was cold.I am glad we had a fireplace.
Like sideways said----If there is anything at all we can help you with just holler.
I will be back out tomorrow night for an hour,and will definately be sitting in my stand saturday morn.
Good luck guys and lets show OHBowhunter he isnt the only one on the team that can deliver
Fred----we need to get that deer of your entered in the "official score card"let me know if there is anything I can do to help
Jason

Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Extreme, good luck on the Lotto
I have a better suggestion
why don't you buy a big chunk of land that we can all hunt on all the time.
hell you can build us all houses, we can live there andhunt off of our back porches.
What cha think
LOL---well bud.it sounds good in our dreams.
17 guys from Alberta won.They split the money 17 ways and got like 3.2 million apiece.
But if I ever do win I wont forget about any of you fine gentlemen
Now lets stop dreaming and start hunting
Old 11-03-2005, 11:16 AM

Hey guys. Just checking in. I have today and tomorrow off and am hunting most of the day both days. Gun season starts Saturday. Just coming in for lunch quick as the action has been slow. Had3 does and 4 fawns within 15 yards of the blind this morning - all in a train like order. Checked my mock scrape and scents one by one. Funny thing is, fawns seemed nervous but the does were as cool as cucumbers. Waited for the trailing buck but none showed. Few more does a little while after that and then nothing. Heading back out in an hour or so after I warm up a little.

Extreme, I'm using the Doghouse. It ran me $50 on sale and is just right for one bowhunter. To draw, I have to face one of the corners and once drawn, rotate back toward the porthole I'm going to shoot out. You have to be careful not to hit the back of the blind with your drawing arm but if you move slowly and carefully there's nothing to it.

Good luck everyone!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

OHBowhunter,

Hey my friend, we want to see the numbers on that nice buck you got. Get that bad boyscored and entered in the Official Scorecard thread. [8D]You gave us a great start!!

We need to know what we are up against in the contest. Right now we could take the lead with a combined score of 328. Certainly this time of year and a little luck we could blow by that number in a hurry.

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.