2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:26 AM

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

CONGRATS OHBowhunter!!!

Looking forward to the picture and story as well!

I am working from home today. Like those days cause then I can get out into the woods an hour or two earlier than usual before nightfall. Anyway, all the leaves are gone and now I can see about 150 yards out into the woods from one of our windows. Watched a doe and fawns slowly heading toward the direction of our house for a few minutes through the binoculars. Went downstairs to work and half an hour later, doe was staring into the dining room window and jumped back when she saw me. I don't know which one of was more surprised.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Way to go OHbowhunter. Congratulations on your deer. Good luck to the rest of us.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fred---it sure is good to hear from ya
I cant wait to read the story and see the pics.Man it is good to finally see us on the board----A BIG CONGRATS TO YA----hopefully I will be able to add some inches to the team soon
Glad to hear you got all your comp problems figured out as well and your banner working properly.
If ya need help posting the pics just email them to me or someone else on the team,Im sure any of us would gladly give you a hand with them.
Or just type in and paste your URL addy inbetween the brackets and check embed pic in post.
Hows everyone else making out?Hopefully the weekend was good for everyone weather wise.I went back out sunday morn.It was cold with rain,very steady hard rain---lol.Didnt see anything other then 1 red squirrel.
SIDEWAYS---chuck gave you some very good information.The dripper is supposed to work very well,havent used one myself,but am definately going to give one a try.I can hopefully pick one up this week.
I just normally scrape up an area with a stick and pour in some trails end #307----worked great last year.I just picked up a 2oz bottle of doe estrus,am going to give it a try as it is getting closer to the rut.Hopefully it works.
I am going to wait a few days for it to dry up,if it ever does,to make a few more scrapes.Dont want to be putting this stuff on the ground just to be washed away by the rain.I also make scent bombs with old 35 mm film canisters.I poke a small hole in the top and put a twist tie on for hanging.Cotton swabs in the canister with the scent,seems to work well.I will place 3 of these about 20 yards from my stand on a good day.I am going to try a drag rag as well with the Doe Estrus .Hopefully a big buck will catch wind of it and come right into the mock and scent bombs.
I tried peeing in a mock scrape as well on the other end of the property.Not sure if it is going to do any good though.I have heard good and bad.Does anyone do the same.Hopefully we will see some pics from someones camera that it actually does work.Not sure myself but thought I would give it a try.Hopefully they cant smell coffee and beer in pee

Again a big CONGRATS to OHBowhunter on his 9 point---way to deliver man.

Take care guys and good luck to everyone
Jason
Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Way to go OHBowhunter!!! Congratulations, I can't wait to see the pics either.
Chucker/Extreme I went and bought a dripper yesterday and put some Active Scrape in it and hung it out at the property. The directions said not to hunt the area for 4-5 days, it might be a little longer, it is raining tonight. I plan on going in a different area tommorow evening, if the rain stops.

OHBowhunter has set the standard, it is time to ante up.
Good Luck
Old 10-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Finally managed to get a picture through. If this works I will add the details.

Old 10-24-2005, 08:31 PM

That is a nice buck and a great picture OHbowhunter. Congrats again!

Sat in my blind for the last two hours of daylight this evening. Nothing but very relaxing. Tried rattling and grunting every half hour very lightly. It seemed to get the squirrels worked up at least.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats again OHBowhunter----that is a good pic and an awesome looking deer.Now if only I can see one like that
Cant wait to hear the story on how you got that big boy.
Nice looking dog as well.I always liked the labs.I had a 120 lb yellow lab,he was our big baby,but my sister has him now,he has more room to run in the country and he is happy.We have a spoiled little minature poodle,ya you read that right,another big baby and very loved by the family.Her name is trixie.We got her from a friend who found her and new the owners.He wasnt taking herback to them because she was abused and kicked around.I really wanted to go to their place and kick the owners in the head as well--lol.And also a 30 lb cat named smokey---you guess the colour---lol
SIDEWAYS---good luck with your mock scrape,hopefully something shows up and starts working it.
Sounds like your getting the same weather as us.
Your right----Fred has set the standard,and now the rest of us have to "deliver"shoot what makes you happy,dosnt have to be a monster.
Chuck----glad to hear you were relaxed----lol----with all those squirrels running around,should have been on the edge of your seat,any big ones in the bunch.
Hows the weather in Minnesota?
Take care guys,hopefully I will be out this week.I want to freshen up my scrape and hopefully something works it over
Jason
Old 10-25-2005, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

OHBowhunter,

Nice buck, nice picture...Way to go buddy!!!

Don't worry, we won't have to change the name of our team to "Ten Men and a Buck", there will be more points put on the board by the Mailmenby the end ofNovember!!!

Before I forget it, you better feed that kid in the the background, she's looking a little frail...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

...Also be sure andpost your pic and measurements on the Official Scorecard so we don't run into any controversy should we be fighting for the top spot (which we hope is the case). (Anyone remember last years spat at the end of the contest?)
Old 10-25-2005, 08:21 AM

SIDEWAYS, good luck with the dripper. I haven't seen any activity yet but then again, I've seen lots of does but no bucks following them so they must not be moving yet. I put out some Trails End yesterday too and managed to spill some all over my hands. [:-]

Antler Eater beat me to the punch with a joke about the scarecrow.Fred has definitelyset the standard. Man, I would be happy to have a buck like that walk in front of my blind or stand. I'd be even happier if I arrowed it.

Extreme, I like the blind a lot. I turned a 5 gallon bucket upside down and put a thick cushion on top of it. I can stretch my legs out and put my stuff on the ground next to me. I can rotate around silently and check out the landscape without a lot of movement. I say that because I would think the deer could still see some movement through the small mesh portholes when its sunny, so its not like you can be doing jumping jacks in there.

I think scent control is of greater concern with a blindbut I hunt in an area where the deer are somewhat acustomed to people. A good handful of year round homes, a county campground,and lots of seasonal cabins. So I figure if I shower in scent killer soap and keep my hunting clothes zipped up tight in large plastic bags and spray on some cover scent, I shouldn't alarm too many of the local deer.

Weather is good here. Warming up to the 50s but still better than the 70s. I could see my breath last night and I figure that's cold enough.

Antler Eater, what was the big controversey last year? Hopefully we'll just win hands down.

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.