Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Side bet on weight

Old 08-02-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Side bet on weight

I thought it would be interesting to have the weight of the deer included in the contest or as a seperate contest.I think itwould be cool to see the different sizes of deer as to the state they're taken from. JMO Anyone have any thoughts on the subject.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:21 PM

Default RE: Side bet on weight

Sounds like a lot of extra work to me. Rob and others helping are already donating a bunch of their time for us. I say we keep it as simple and smooth as possible. JMHO
Old 08-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll go ahead and start..
Josh Keller.
Date taken: unknown.
Score: also unknown.
Dressed Weight: under 100 lbs.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:59 PM

Or just include the weight on the score card so we can keep track on are own. I'm a first timer so forgive the ignorance.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:09 PM

Hmm, interesting idea. That would favor those big bodied deer taken up north. Hey, I'm up north!

Hey! I don't have a scale! And, I doubt my bathroom scale can measure me and a deer, even if I could hold the sucker up long enough.

Since I don't know anyone who has a scale and I do all my own processing, I guess I'd have to estimate. But, if we're going to estimate, why bother?

(It would be interesting though.)

Old 08-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea of weight....up here in northern MN we grow em big(body size anyway) their antlers dont always show for it! Last year I know of 3 bucks within 35 miles that went over 250 lb dressed....one over 300!
Old 08-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea of the weight also.But lets keep it simple in the contest and score the antlers only,there we have pictures and can judge the rack accordingly.It would be a little obvious to say your deer scored 160 when in fact it only has maybe 120 inches of bone.Weight of a deer can be a little deceiving in pics,especially when pics are taken up close.
I think your right though recurver67,post the honest weight of the dressed buck in the pic and story and we can keep track of the deers weight that way,maybe I'll even write it down and see what comes up at the end of the contest.I have a scale and weigh every deer I harvest just for my own personal interest.

I know of 3 bucks within 35 miles that went over 250 lb dressed....one over 300!
Shoot the average 3.5 year old buck in my area will dress out at 200 and very common to see deer dress out at 250.
Last year alone the big buck contest in my area alone was won by a 288LB dressed deer and second place was 276 respectivly.
2 years ago a 302 lb was shot about a half hour from my home.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

recurve measure from the briscut to the back how ever many inches it is multiply by 10 and that will be within 10 lbs!
Old 08-06-2005, 08:04 PM

TeeJay,I've heard that formula is accurate but I've never tryed it. The biggest deer I've shot dressed out to #208. I would like to know how it fares to the rest of the country for a average. He was aged at 2 1/2 to 3 1/2.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always find it interesting to see whathow body weights vary fromregion to region. I also believe it certainly adds to the trophy status of a deer, especially the big ol' cornfed brutes that never really grow a whooper rack but pack on the pounds. My area has produced some very impressive bodiesd animals through out the years. In fact, I personally have taken 2 bucks that have field-dressed over the 260 lbs mark as well as 2 other bucks that have exceeded the 250 lbs mark. The largest animal I've personally seen was a 287 dressed monster bowkilled about 12 years ago by a localhunter!

I don't think weight needs to be anything "official" for the contest but we will all police the contest and keep track of the most impressive animals anyway. It'll be interesting to see what the heaviest animal will be?? Good luck to all of ya this fall.

Quick Reply: Side bet on weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.