HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Elk Stories Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 10:15 AM
jjwillie
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best Elk Stories Thread

That's a good one.
My most memorable didn't even involve the harvesting of an elk. It was a few years ago, when my hunting group of four decided to quit paying otufitters when there's all this public land out west. After a ton of research, we decided on the Idaho sawtooths. Drove to Idaho and packed in two days before the hunt. Got set up and just realxed, taking in the amazing country.

The first day of hunting is when we realized that we made a critical error in setting up camp. We camped by the stream and had to cover about 2500 eertical feet every morning to get to a good glassing point.
We got to the top and it wasn't long until I spotted a nice bull across the drainage. I decided to wait until evening and spent the rest of the afternoon getting into a better position for a stalk. Towards evening the bull appeared with about 15 cows and was still a half mile away. The only problem was that there was all open country between us.

Sooo, I brought out the trusty topo map and plotted a roundabout way to get to him. It was a long strenuous climb in some areas so I decided to leave my pack (with mywater) where I currently was. Another mistake.
Finally got to the place where he was and it was smelling real "elky". Suddenly, I noticed cows all around me....I dove into an old blowdown until they calmed down and continued my stalk....scanning every thing. Then I saw a weird looking branch...then it moved!! It was the bull and he busted off through the woods, shearing saplings as he ran. He was huge.
I followed him to the edge of the gutter where he disappeared and I heard a few bulls bugling across the drainage. It was the most surreal place I've ever been at. I knew I blew my chance, but just sat and listened until dusk.

Like I said, although I didn't get an elk that time, I will never forget that experience. My first backpack hunt and a close encounter with a herd bull.