HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best Elk Stories Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
stubblejumper
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Elk Stories Thread

My most memorable elk hunt took place when some friends and I travelled to a completely new area.We really did not expect to kill an elk as it was primarily a scouting trip.However on the second day myself and a friend found a very heavily used bedding area on the edge of a large parcel of timber bordering two agricultural fields.We waited at the edge of a large cutline about 100 yards from the edge of the timber in the hope that we could ambush some elk going to the fields to feed.Just before dust,a small heard of elk came out of the timber and headed down the cutline toward one field.Six cows walked past at 100 yards but the bull would not leave the timber.I called several times and he came to edge at about 200 yards, but would not give us a clean shot.We returned at first light and when I bugled,the bull strolled out of the timber,onto the cutline about 800 yards away but would come no closer.We tried to sneak through the timber to close the distance,but when we were about 600 yards away ,he walked back into the timber.We went for dinner and returned in the late afternoon.As we walked towards the place where we planned to sit for the evening,I bugled.Immediately the bull stepped into the cutline directly facing my friend at about 65 yards.My friend had never killed an elk,so I wanted him to kill this bull.Unfortunately my friend did not have a round in the chamber so he froze.As he and the bull stared at each other,I realized that if we were to take this bull,I would have to shoot it.At the shot,the bull trotted off a few yards then fell dead.We cleaned and quartered the bull,and went to get our other partners to help carry out the quarters.A simple scouting trip turned out successful because we were patient but persistant,and my friend learned to keep a round in the chamber when walking to and from the hunting area.