HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting Clothes
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
nchawkeye
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting Clothes

Its kinda tough not knowing where you live, or the style of hunting you do...

I'll let you know what I like of my hunting clothes...

1) Good boots...I used LL Beans for years, until I kept turning my ankles (weak) I now use Rockys...they are leather which aren't the best for scent control but I haven't turned my ankle in 3 years of using and because they have Thinsulate they are warmer than the unlined rubber bottom Beans that I used to use...Add 6-7 pairs of good wool socks and your feet are happy.

2) Good long underwear...I buy Durafold I believe its called from LL Bean...not the most expensive, but fine for our winters here in NC...

3) I buy Walls shirts, pants, camo bib coveralls both in insulated and non insulated...I tried cheaper (Redhead)...waste of money (no crotch room), bad for sitting on a deer stand...Also buy the shirts one size larger than normal, for layering...

4) Over my long underwear and under my camo Walls cotten shirt I wear a hooded sweatshirt....Keeps the neck warm and hood can be pulled up for more warmth and protection....

5) I like a good down vest...When it gets cold (below 32 here in NC) I can't hardly wear enough to stay warm, a vest really helps...Mine was actually pretty cheap (less than $50) at Gander Mountain...

6) A Thermacell...for bow hunting and the skeeters....

7) Primos bow vest...Takes the place of a backpack or fanny pack (even during gun season)...makes it easier to carry your deer stand on your back, and if you ML hunt with an inline, enough pockets to carry quick loads in.

8) Not really clothing but if you have money left over, a good pair of binoculars...I used a small pair of Bushnells for 20 years or so...Bought a pair of Nickon Monarch 8x42s a few years ago and have really enjoyed them...I use Leupold scopes and realized that I spend more time using binos than a scope, why not buy a better than average pair...

Good luck...