HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Bob H in NH
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 45 lb. Compound for Elk Hunting?

ORIGINAL: AnnaMarie

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I agree. This elk is trophy and worthy of all benfits therein. This fence height thing is a moot point. The 75 grain Muzzy did make it through the elk. It has a 1" cutting diameter. I'm wondering if the 100 grain version, with a 1 3/16" cutting diameter, would have made it through the off side hide. Probably not with this light of an arrow. But the results speak for themselves . . . . . how far did the elk go before tipping over? Thx. Roskoe

Sorry if we got off topic there, i just always need to get wrong claims straightened out.

The elk I'd say went about 50ish yards, he had no clue what hit him though. I knew I had made a good shot when the water fall of blood came after the hit. It took him a good while to die, so after I shot I crouched down behind a tree and watched him through binoculars. I agree with the others about the distance thing though, with a light poundage, the most important thing for me was not making a shot over 30 yards. Over that distance I know the arrow would not have had the same effect.
This thread gives me a warm feeling, why? Simple, I am heading to ID in Sept with my wife, who will be toating her 27 inch draw, 47lb CSS Compound spitting out 400 gr arrows front ended by a 100 grain 2 blade stinger. I have had nagging feelings if this would work, logic says yes, but now I 've seen another example of it working.

Nice bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!