HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nobody warned me they fight back!!
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 04:55 PM
Pydpiper
Typical Buck

Default RE: Nobody warned me they fight back!!

I put on my best camo, (was my best camo) and headed into the woods where I have been seeing a lot of tracks.. I backed up against a tree and pulled some brush against me, it would have been a useless position if I had my crossbow, but since I left it at home I figured it was a good spot.
I have been reading all the sites you guys sent to me, it seems pretty rare that these guys get animals closer than a hundred yards or so, so I felt pretty safe.. I hunched down and let the howler go for a bit, still think it sounds like a drunk duck but the coyotes seem to think it sounded pretty darn good. I seen the first one come up over the river bank, and my heart went crazy.. it was the closest I have been to one of these things since I decided to hunt them, probably 75 yards or so right in front of me, then gone again.
I was far from stealthy when I stuck the howler in my pocket and popped the squeaker in my mouth, I was concentrating more on what sound I was making than what was happening around me, that's when I seen the nasty looking thing about 10 yards in front of me, head cocked to one side and taking slow steps towards me, he was alone I think. All I could think about is how easy of a shot it would have been if I actually had something to shoot it with, and by the time that thought went through my head it was 5 or 6 feet in front of me, I was sure it was looking me straight in the eye. My excitement turned to concern when I realized it wasn't stopping, just walking right to me.. I of course was still tooting away on my squeaker, almost laughing into it in nervousness. By now I knew it was coming for that sound regardless of what I did, so I decided I would grab it by the scruff if it came closer, and closer it came, lunged at the squeaker that was still making noise as I tried to breath through it.
It was in the air when I grabbed it, Damn thingpounced like a cat, I missed his scruff with both hands, one hand had his cheek and the other the top of it's head by the ear.. He was pretty pissed, and I could smell his rotten breath andall I remember thinking is how whitethe teeth were for an ugly animal.It was mere seconds and I had it pinned down under my knee while holding its head to the ground. I had it in a position where it couldn't do any damage to me and I looked around to see if he had any friends nearby, all I could think is why I hadn't read anything like this, and what else could possibly happen. I mumbled something through my teeth about not being a mouse with lots of colorful words included. I took my hand off it's cheek to grab my knife and that's when he turned and got my leg, just above my ankle. It happened pretty quick, didn't feel a thing. About 10 seconds later, neither did he. I learned a few things today, that is for sure.

So, my buyers remorse for buying the cheapest yote call Bass Pro had to offer is now gone, I am a firm believer now.