HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Moon phase
Thread: Moon phase
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 PM
KS227
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moon phase

full moon makes it harder to hunt because the deer tend to stay active more and harder to pattern. It manafests itself in things like getting busted more walking to your stand and getting stuck in the stand late with deer all around. I truly believe in moon phases. Pre rut is more predictable. Basically, in its simplest form, deer get up to eat twice a day; when the moon is straight overhead or underfoot(opposite side of the earth). The get up to "stretch andpee" when the moon is atthe sides of the earth.
Start your own mental list. The next evening/morning to or from work you a lot of deer activity, simply look up. I bet a dollar that the moon is high in the sky. Keep track of it..... you'll be convinced.
The rut is a huge monkey wrench in the theory because the mating instinct overrides everything. BUT,(this is the cool part) if you hunt rut days when the major is say, 7:15 amand the minor is 5:42 pm; pack a lunch and hunt all darn day. Because if your major and minor occur during daylight hours the does will be getting up to eat in prime shooting hours. And as you know when the girls are out the boys aren't far behind. I always, always seek these days for my vacation time.