HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - updating my Bow
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 07:29 PM
grizzly_hackle36
Fork Horn

Default RE: updating my Bow

Don't know what archery store told you they couldn't do helical with feathers, all I have ever shot are feathers and they are all helical. Now it is true that you are limited to the helical depending on the type of feather used, right with right, left with left; but straight fletching only is pure bull.

What type of arrows are you using? If you are using a light weight arrow in order to gain fps, reconsider. A heavier arrow is effected less by any windplaning from the broadhead and shoots consistently. It will also help quiet your shot by absorbing more energy than a lighter weight arrow.

I personally shoot XX75 MOBU 2217's with 125 gr. Muzzy 4 blades off a NAP drop away. The drop away allows me to use a very aggressive helical(left-hand, but I don't feel dirction makes alot of difference) with my 4 in. feathers. I had it chrono'd once and at 63 lbs was shooting 235 fps. That's slow by today's standards, but I hit where I'm looking out to fifty yds. I know total containment rests are nice but I've never been persuaded that they don't effect arrow flight. I've shot with and against several guys who use those in winter leagues and their groups are never quite as tight as the guys who are using drop aways or even older prongrests.

The nice thing about the Muzzy's is they are available with practice blades. You can shoot all you want then put in factory sharp blades to hunt with.

Agree totally with Campo about the string loop. Have shot with one for three years now and never had it fail.I do get it replaced the instant I notice any fraying to the string.

Pendulums are simply a single pin sight on a pivot. You sight in at 20-25 yards on the ground, then when you shoot from a tree stand the pivot automatically compensates for the angle. Keller made the original pendulum, but all the bigger companies market at least one. I haven't used one personally, but have many friends that swear by them.

I haven't shot a Glendel Buck but if it works the same as my Black Hole arrow removal should be quite easy.