HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Trajectory
Thread: Trajectory
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 03:26 PM
awshucks
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trajectory

ORIGINAL: scaupstopper

I am looking into getting a crossbow for this years deer season. I have always shot compound, but no longer have the time or place to practice, and I have not shot as well in the field as I used to.

I am torn between 2 bows, but after looking at the Horton site I have a bigger concern. It shows bolts going 300 fps. losing 16 inches in the first 30 yds?!?!?!

Can that be right???? I understand trajectories and that sighting in at 20 yds means a drop of 7 inches between 20 and 30, but that seems like a lot even then.I know that crossbows are not supposed to be any more efficient than compounds, but I use the same pin on my compound out to 30 yds with only a2 inch varience (from 20 yd pin) between 10 and 30 yds.

What is the experience of you folks?
there's guys here who use a single pin or single red dot, some even use rifle scopes w/ one xhair. if you are new to xbows, check out the Excal V-zone. It has a speed rating ring you adjust that puts your aim points on from 10 - 50 yds, in which case trajectory becomes less of a concern, however, range is still very important to know. They have brought out a new model w/ lit reticules w/ same features as V-zone. I've had several and they work real well for me, on any set-up between 250 fps and 350 fps. Btw, welcome to the forum!