HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Accuracy.... groups?
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 PM
hinkleid

Default RE: Accuracy.... groups?

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok, here is a fireform group from my 7mm Allen Mag., this load is about 3150 fps mv

Then the same rifle with the charge increased enough to give me 3500 fps with the same bullet, sighted in for 100 yds. then checked my ballistic program, dialed my scope in and fired 2 shots at 660 yds here is that target

as you can see I had to tweak the actual BC of the bullet, (its published BC is .531) due to 2.5" of elevation error, and I also gave it 1/4 MOA to much windage
The 100 yd group was fired off a bench rest, the one at 660 was off a bipod with a rear bag.
RR
That is some amazing shooting Ridgerunner. 660! Wow. Even at 660, and with the BC and windage inconsistencies you are still well within the kill zone.
Just curious here. I got a new Leupold scope with Target knobs (Mark 4). I shot at 300, and honestly the groups were less than 3X at 100. I would guess about a 2.5-3 inch group. Shooting prone and using bipod.
I used a ballistic site to calculate trajectory to 1000.

I dialed the elevation, and shot 3. Strange as I could not see where they hit until checking later. The shots were about 2" above bull, and about 3" left. Still within the kill zone for deer, elk. However, I did not calculate for windage so dialed nothing. How do you know this? Guess? I have read about guys that have wind checkers (whatever they are called) then enter the info into an ipod, then dial both elevation and windage.