HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - TO KANT OR NOT TO KANT
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Lilhunter
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TO KANT OR NOT TO KANT

Tom,

I believe you're tossing around a little more liberally this grip deal from recurves to longbows then should be applied here.

Any longbow that isnt shot with a straight wrist, is shot with some form of broken wrist and can still be canted. as can a low or medium (again broken) wristed recurve.

You're right, a high wrist imho is more preferred on curves and is how I also shoot them. However if you shoot a longbow in the same manner you've done nothing but taken yourself to shooting a straight limbed recurve by doing so. Something I believe asbell does a good job in differentiating between and is what both books really get into.

But then again, we're starting to compare apples and oranges here. Regarlds you can still throw both fruits, as you can shoot both bows with a broken wrist. I'd be humbled to say more often then not that more people are shooting with some form of broken wrist with a recurve then really thinks they are doing. It seems very very few bows these days are setup for a high wrist shooter without specifically specifying that and then only a few bows really comform to the asbell straight wrist method.

But before I'd tell someone to go cutting arrows without knowing their tuning efforts, the first thing I'd check is alignment. It's a simple and oftenly overlooked mistake. As moving the rear site on a rifle moves your impact, so does over or under drawing, or plucking etc etc. Moving that nock in our out will change how things work. So if you're arrow flight's good and you're still hitting left, I'd check aligment next.