HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Chek-Mate arrow speed?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 12:46 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Chek-Mate arrow speed?

Well, I can't give good numbers, mainly because I am not a real big believer in chronographs--the kind that most of us can afford (and you see at most shops) aren't the most accurate or reliable machines. There are a lot of other variables that come into play also, such as the archer, how well the bow fits the person shooting it, etc. I can give a couple of comparisons, if that will help. JRW did the shooting (he can give the details much better than I can), but basically he shot a Habu, a Black Widow, a Palmer, and a Hunter II "head to head". He was shooting approximately the same grains per lb on each bow to try and keep it an even playing ground. The results, as best I can recall, were: Habu was the slowest, but not by a lot, Palmer was the fastest--10 or 15 fps, I believe, the Hunter II and BW were pretty much neck-in-neck.

"The Bear" shot his Crusader against a fellows Adcock ACS at an indoor archery range, and they too shot close--I think the Crusader was a little faster, but not enough to cause a fuss.

With me, I know when a bow is fast/smooth/quiet, and I don't normally rely on a machine to confirm that. I do understand the curiosity though, and I have chonographed one of my Crusaders on a friends chrony (I have one myself, but have never used it). With arrows weighing a little over 600 grains, I was getting in the mid to high 180's; pulling [email protected] with 64" bow.

Sorry I am not more help.

Chad

Long Bows Rule!