HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunting "Big Woods"--Pointers??
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 07:21 AM
dandbuck
Fork Horn

Default Hunting "Big Woods"--Pointers??

Ok, I live in central Wisconsin, but I hunt inNorthern Wisconsin most of the time. All this patterning talk is out the window up there. I mean, the deer just do not do the same thing everyday. You may not see the same deer more than one time a week. Now with some wolves running around, it has gotten a bit harder. I have a couple spots a mile or so back with wild cranberry marsh type valleys that stay "moist" most of the time. Is there any way to plant some type of clover, turnips, grasses, etc. that would not take the effort of plowing up the ground? I know there are those that take 4 wheelers all around the woods near there, but it's public land and you are not supposed to(legally) do that, and really, it's not the quietest thing to do when bowhunting. Anyone have a good suggestion? I rifle hunt here too, and it's hit and miss seeing deer. I saw 8 deer last year hunting all day 4 days worth rifle season. Bow season I saw 3 deer, but only had time to hunt a handful of times. One morning I had a decenet 8 point come right by, quartering away, 15 yds, and I shot "just low", got brisket. Trailed for most of the day, arrow smelled like tallow(pass thru), lots of white hair at impact. Long story short, I shot the same buck a month later in rifle season 3/4 mile away from where it was bow season. But I digress______Is there a mineral block or "crop" I could plant without tooo much trouble that would keep deer coming to the area longer?
Thanks
dandbuck