HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - totally lost
Thread: totally lost
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: totally lost

ORIGINAL: timwlarsen

I've been reading these posts since Nov. trying to put together information fora purchase. I have been rifle hunting but would really enjoy being there earlier in the rut. CO as I understand isa non-sabot, no pellet powder, no scope. After reading these posts, I was considering the omega though that is not set in stone. I don't have a clue which type of power to purchase, which projectile, if it says no sabots - is that only a round ball and patch or can you use a powerbelt. I reside in Iowa and would also consider deer hunting with it. I am not impressed with the group hunts and shotgunning method my fine stateengages in.
During ML season, just about any muzzleloader brand or model is allowed. The exceptions are the Savage 10ML II(or any ML which is designed for use with smokeless powder), which you CAN NOT hunt with during the regular MUZZLELOADER season even if its loaded with black powder.

During ML season, just about any ignition system is allowed, EXCEPT, one can't use the little 25 ACP cartridge and BP. Only 209, percussion cap, or flints allowed.

During ML season, thanks to some modification last year, ANY blackpowder substitute is legal. Just has to be a powder that is designed for use in blackpowder weapons. Of course, blackpowder is A-OK.

Projectiles must be full bore conical less than 2X length or PRB. During RIFLE SEASON, I am told that any projectile which is legal for use in a centerfire, is also legal as asaboted projectile in a muzzleloader.

I would recommend a .50 cal. I'll let you decide which brand and model. Regarding the omega,while there is no guaranty that it will shoot conicals, there is no guaranty that it won't shootthem either. Some reportgood results. If this is your first rifle, I'd be sure to choose the one which you feel would best function for its primary use. If its Colorado during ML season, it needs to shoot conicals. If its Colorado during rifle, it needs to shoot either conicals or sabots well, or shoot them both. A rifle which functions well for Colorado rifle season, of course, functions in Iowa very well.

Good luck with it. I hope you do go to Colorado for some hunting. There is a sense of wildness and openness that is hard to beat. If you are getting burned out on theshotgun drives, I guarantee a muzzleloader and 20,000 acres of BLM will cure you.