HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - totally lost
Thread: totally lost
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 11:40 AM
frontier gander

Default RE: totally lost

What kind of range are you planning on shooting up to? I feel comfortable with 150 yard open sight shots, its needed where i hunt, open plain with some rolling hills and sage brush. i hunt unit 35 in colorado so if you've been in that area, you know how open it is.

No scopes,pellet powder or sabots.

You can shoot any conical you want, if it will shoot with the gun you pick out. I like the 350 grain TC maxi hunters and the 385 grain great plains bullets. Also like powerbelts i just dont have the money to shoot them all of the time. If you're going after elk, a 348 grain powerbelt will do the job. for deer i normally use the 295 grain powerbelt.

As for the muzzleloader, Its like sabotloader said, the omega and encore are not normally known for shooting conicals. You can even give TC a call and they will say its normally a sabot rifle. With so many choices out there, its hard to tell you exactly what you need, you'll have to go to some sporting good stores and handle as many as you can and keep a mental note on which rifle you liked the best and then report back to us for our opinion and if its a good one or if its a bad one.

I shoot a winchester x-150 .50 muzzleloader and its accuracy is excellent and the quality is solid. Either this one or even the CVA optima would be great choices to shoot conical. If you only hunt deer in colorado, a 45 caliber would suit your needs perfectly and i know where you can buy an x-150 Brand new for $160 with ss barrel and camo stock. 160 shipped! If you hunt elk in colorado it must be a .50 or larger so thats the only downfall if you go with a .45 and then want to go for elk.