HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - totally lost
Thread: totally lost
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 10:21 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: totally lost

My understanding is a powerbelt is a conical and legal in Colorado. Correct me someone if I am wrong. Also you need to consider maxiball, and some of the other conicals out there as possible projectiles to use.

As for the kind of rifle to purchase, you need to consider what you want the rifle to do. If you could find one, and wanted a true conical shooter, a White would be my choice. The problem with White Rifles are they are getting hard to find because the company is out of business one day, and planning to start again the next day.

Now whether Omega shooters have luck shooting conicals I could not say. I've read posts of them being very good powerbelt shooters. I have a Black Diamond XR that shoots conicals real well. But that does not mean the next Black Diamond will do the same. The Omega might be an excellent choice.

There are some other choices out there, but they are not the modern inline kind of rifle. For instance the Lyman Great Plains Hunter with a 1:32 twist is a known conical shooter. Since Colorado requires no scope as I understand, you would be just as well off with that rifle as a modern inline. Shoot some Pyrodex RS or P and a big Maxiball and it should take out an elk just fine. It will also work on deer back in Iowa.

So come on people that shoot conicals.. what rifle do you suggest for timwlarsen. My vote would be a White, or an Omega if he wanted an inline rifle. A Great Plains Hunter if he wanted a traditional shooter.