HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - back tension
Thread: back tension
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 AM
gibblet

Default RE: back tension

push/pull is only 1 method of a sort of half back tension/half bulldog approach. there is another approach, a jedi approach, that has to do w/ muscle control, skeletal positioning, and more than anything else - relaxation. it takes the calm clear mind of a jedi. it takes the ability to relax your release fingers, execpt your hook - andits hanging. you have to relax your forearm, your tricep, your bicep, your shoulder - everything except your rhomboid. if your neck isn't in the proper position - you can't shoot this style of bt.tension in your bow hand willdisturb this style of shooting - anyunnecessary tension will. this is much more difficult to learn than the push/pull method, which should be more accurately called - shoulder tension. there is no archer's explosion when pure back tension is shot properly. the release hand will move no more than 2", and whatever happens to the bow after the shot- the shooter has no idea - nor does he/she care. there is no such thing as 'follow-thru' w/ pure back tension.once in full draw position - there is not 1 pound of added tension on the string before release. this stuff all came, i believe, from folks who couldn't learn pure bt. they've developed an easier method to learn, and it works lights out for many of them - butits still not'pure' bt, and i don't think it should be talked about as such. it is its own 'philosophy' and i think we should talk about it as such.it is quite deserving of havingits own heading when we talk about this stuff - seeing how successful it is, and how good its disciples are. when you get to a point w/ shooting - you have to go 1 way or another or another at a certain point. you really have to join a philosophy of shooting. they're all designed to correct the things that go wrong w/ consistancy, and you're free to change philosophies at any point. me, obviously i'm in the school that came to and now thru larry wise. its not any better than the push/pull school, and that was developed by problems (mainly speed of learning i think) w/ the 'pure bt' school. then its my understanding that bernie teaches differently still - and maybe in this life i'll get a chance to master the school i'm in and then try some others. i don't know, i guess i'm saying there are branches of thought and technique here, and folks read this stuff and they should know there are some pretty neat roads to walk down in the worldof archery.