HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what wt broadhead do i need
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2002, 04:15 PM
Wahya
Typical Buck

Default RE: what wt broadhead do i need

It depends on how heavy or lite you want to go with your arrow and the spine of the arrow you're shooting. Shooting a low weight bow like your Bear, I'd want a minimum arrow weight of around 500g. to take advantage of the momentum of the arrow for optimum penetration. Also keep in mind that the spine of the arrow is affected by point weight, so a marginally acceptable arrow spine can be completely wrong coming off of your bow by changing the point weight as little as 25g. I'd also suggest going with a razor sharp 2 blade cut on contact broadhead. It will give you the best penetration, again because of the low weight of your bow you need to use every available means to obtain adequate penetration. Make sure that the arrow is flying perfectly from the bow before trying to shoot broadheads. Otherwise the head acts as a set of wings on the front of the arrow and can and will cause the arrow to go almost anywhere when shot. Anywhere that is, except where you want it to go.

Actually, in my opinion, it is way too early for you to be thinking about broadheads. Get your draw length measured, get the bow weighed at your draw and get a dozen properly spined arrows. Learn to shoot the bow with the properly spined set of arrows. Then when you can hit what you're looking at, you can start thinking about attaching some broadheads to your arrows and begin practicing with them. Practice with them because they may not go where your field points do. Once you can hit what you're looking at on a consistent basis and at a certain maximum yardage with your broadhead tipped arrows, then make the decision of whether or not you are ready to hunt with the bow.

Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.