HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - I need some advice
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2003, 01:08 AM
nightmare68

Default RE: I need some advice

I have a similar situation, but the land is owned by my father (which makes hunting it a little easier cuase i can go there anytime)
I did alot of reading on swamps and deer and also studied the area very intensly for about 3 years. what I've noticed and is backed up by several articles in hunting mag's most swamp areas aren't hunted heavily thus providing a safe haven for deer. as we all know big bucks not only desire safety but rely on it. If you get a topo map I'm certain that you'll see that the swamp has a bottle-neck apperiance to it. meaning that one end is more narrow than the other. usually the thiner end being bustled with heavy brush. deer will make their way through a area like that in mid afternoons or when pressure is on. if you can put your climber on the wider end
( providing you'll have shot) you more than likely will see the deer making his way to a afternoon nap or a excellent escape route.

i know you said you just started hunting and welcome aboard man, but don't forget to give archary a try, your area may be just what the deer doctor ordered. if there is anything I've learned in my hunting years it's expect the unexpected and don't be affraid to blaze your own trail. good luck in the future and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!