HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Request for info for archery elk in Colorado
Old 02-20-2007, 08:43 PM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Request for info for archery elk in Colorado

The best quote I think I ever heard about elk hunting is: "Elk are where you find them".

Sounds like a "duh" comment, but it is really not. There are certain needs that an elk must have (food, water,and cover) but you will hike miles and miles of areas with all of that that hold no elk TODAY. It may have yesterday and it may tomorrow, but not today. When you are lucky enough to finally find an area with steaming poop piles and a real musky odor, slow down, backoff and try to hunt without running them out of the country.Don't be in a hurry, if the wind isn't right, back off and try again later or from another angle. If they smell you, they are liable to leave the country.

There are definately some places in Colorado where hikers and hunters rarely go, but generally it takes many, many years of hiking/hunting to find them, and then they only stay that way if you guard that secret place (eaiser said than done). They are also places that most hunters look up to or down in and say, boy, I don't want to ever kill an elk in there!If you only go places that aren't too steep coming or going, you will probably see lots of other hunters.

The muzzleloading season always overlaps the archery season, just don't go during that season! This year it is September 8-16. You have two weeks before and 1 week after. If you want to hear bugling and not be in the woods during muzzy season, the leaves really only the last week of the season.

Do your homework, and you will probably see elk, but prepare your boys for lots of elkless days, I would stress the experience. We did a drop camp 5 miles in a couple of years ago in an area that holds lots of elk. 3 of 4 of us saw decent numbers of elk, but one of us didn't see an elk until the ride out going home.

I would also take the first legal elk you get in range, male or female. I can't tell you how many times I passed on a cow only to come home empty handed.

Of the ones you mentioned, I would look at Weminuche, West Elk, and Maroon Bells. And 3-4 miles in is probably a good start. Many don't go beyond 1-2 miles, Outfitters go farther. Just remember that you need to be in hunting country at first light and stay till last light, so you will have to travel in the dark both ways. That also makes for long days and short nights. Remember that when you get in after hiking in 4 miles, hiking around another 4-5 during the day, then hiking out, you still have to cook dinner. For what you want, you might consider either doing a drop camp, or just plan on backpacking in and setting up a camp.

And by all means, start putting in for preference points. The only way you can truely get away from the crowds is to put in for a draw area.

Good luck.