HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Request for info for archery elk in Colorado
Old 02-20-2007, 11:18 AM
willhunt4food
Spike

Default RE: Request for info for archery elk in Colorado

I'm not certain that such a place exist. You're putting alot of requests on an over the counter unit in Colorado. I suggest that this year you put in for a preference point for you and your sons in the draw in early April and then come on out and enjoy the mob that is Colorado over the counter elk country. Next year or the year after maybeyou can get in a place that's less crowded.
Don't restrict yourself to wilderness areas. Colorado has strict laws about the use of ATVs. By and large you can't legally take an ATV anywhere that I couldn't take my truck. That opens up your search to include large roadless areas in the national forest. I think wilderness areas have a way of concentrating outfitters anyway. Roads that go to the edge of the wilderness areas serve as points of departure for outfitters and do it yourselfers alike.
Hearing and seeing elk can be hit or miss. My family regularly hunts the same mountain side every archery season. Some years they do as well as 80% on elk harvest. Last year they only got one shot off and failed to connect.
Hunting around day hikers is something I try to avoid but some of the best elk spots that I've seen are driven by regularly and the granola munching tree hugging bunch make regular use of them.
I'd say build somepoints this year but goaheadand bring thesons out and enjoySeptember in the mountains.
Will