HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Request for info for archery elk in Colorado
Old 02-19-2007, 08:41 PM
schul44mag

Default Request for info for archery elk in Colorado

I am planning a DIY archery elk hunt with my son (maybe 2 sons)in Colorado this fall. This would be my son(s) first elk hunt. I've been on a couple similar hunts in the past with friends so know a little what to expect.

My main criterias are:
1. Has to be in a wilderness so we are not bothered by 4-wheelers.
2. I'd like to be able to drive (4WD pickup) to a wilderness boundry, camp there and hunt by foot into the wilderness each day. Were not afraid to walk in 2-4 miles if necessary to hunt,as long as it isn'ttoostrenuous a climb either on the way in - or out. (We are from Wisconsin and our hills and bluffs are considered speed-bumps in Colorado).
3. Would prefer to camp below 10,500 ft if possible. That is about where we were at 2 other trips and it was still comfortable in Sept (and I could still breath).
4. Has to be an area that does not require a draw for a tag, and does not have an over-lapping muzzle-loader season. I've gota sense of what areas these might be by looking at 2006 regulations.
5. The area shouldnot have a lot of hikers,other hunters or other human traffic during the archery season, and should not be over-run by an outfitter and their clients.
6. Since it would be my son(s) first elk hunt, I'd like to count on seeing and hearing a fair number of elk, including some legal bulls.
7. I would consider about 7-8 days of hunting, during either the first/second week, or during the second/third week in Sept. Any preferences, comments, suggestions???
8. It would be a plus if there was trout fishing available in the area also.

I am currently considering the following wilderness areas, or at least the portions of them that meet criteria #4 above.
Collegiate Peaks
Eagles Nest
Fossil Ridge
Holy Cross
Hunter-Fryingpan
La Garita
Lizard Head
Maroon Bells-Snowmass
Mount Massive
Raggeds
San De Cristo
Uncompahgre
Weminuche
West Elk
Flat Tops (far eastern units 25, 26, 34, 231 met criteria #4 in 2006)

OK - so there is the challenge. I would deeply appreciate any help, info, suggestions, comments, etc.that will help me plan this trip.

Thank you and God Bless
Jeff
[email protected]