HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - (20) Official Team "XX" Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 10:30 AM
quiksilver
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Anthony - those pups look awesome. Shame how fast they grow up. They need to figure out a way to freeze them at that age. I'm such a sucker for a big fat fluffball of a pup with big old clumsy feet.

I've read that stuff about the hip dysplasia in the Berners. My golden has really bad hips - he's 8 now, and has a lot of trouble - probably gonna have to put him down in the next year or two. Sad really, b/c he's a super good dog. Best one I ever had, crazy smart. The golden's problem is at least somewhat attributable to his fatness. He tips the scales at a buck-twenty, and I think the vet says that his frame should only carry 90 pounds. After I moved out, mom adopted him as her new baby, and he started getting table food, which went straight to his fat a$$. LOL He just lays around the house like a piece of furniture now.

Some of the breeders will get the pups x-rayed before they sell them, and have the vet certify that his hips are in good working order. So if I do get the Berner, I'll make sure to watch his weight closely, and keep him from turning into Jabba-the-Hut.