HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lube and cleaner recipes
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 04:30 AM
mcawful
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lube and cleaner recipes

ORIGINAL: SHills

I lived in FL and 90 degree+ days would not have worked out...TC bore butter turned liquid @ times..
SHills
Exactly the reason I wanted to get others recipes. I'm using BB right now on my patches and have tried it for a REAL bullet lube, but just the heat from my fingers seems to dissolve it, can't imagine when the weather turns warm.
Seems to work great as a patch lube, if a bit on the messy side while working it in.
I made some of the moose milk last night and have already seen how much easier of a patch lube it will be. I wet down 2 strips of ticking and left them to dry, checked them this morning and when you rub it between your fingers, you can feel the oil. But not wet enough to be a problem. Also went to the store and got 1/2 dozen little spritzer bottles and filled one with it for my shooting bag.
I also picked up a jar of SnoSeal, and a jar of Campdry Beeswax waterproofer. Has anyone tried the Campdry stuff? It says the ingredients are beeswax and lanolin. After rubbing a little on a patch, though, it may be just as messy as BB.
I also made some of the hard lube you posted, Cayugad, and have already converted. After casting about 50 of the 320 gr REAL bullets, I lubed them with that stuff after they had cooled and, man what a difference from the BB. I like this stuff. The only problem here is finding the castor oil. I hit 2 grocery stores and 2 drugstores before I found some. Bought all 4 bottles.
That was enough to make one batch of moosemilk and one batch of the hard lube.
The beeswax was easier to find tthan the castor oil, lol.