HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how do you choose your ammunition?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 08:29 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how do you choose your ammunition?

I have been an avid hunter since I was six years old. I started hunting with a Daisy BB gun which my Grandpa bought for all the grandsons on thier 6 th Xmas. When I was 10 my Dad bought me a 22 cal. Pellet gun which I used until I was 12 when Dad gave me a 20 GA shotgun and Grandpa gave me his old Pump 22 rifle. I have sort of kept a log of the Ammo I used, how it worked in different conditions, What didn,t work well and so on. I have been lucky enough to learn most of this stuff from expierance. I have been a combat shooter, silhouette shooter, hunting guide and ran my own gun store for about fifteen years. I have sort of logged what my hunters use and feedback from cusomers. Thanks to the good bullet companies which have kept raising the bar of bullet quality, most factory ammo has had to do the same to compete. I love to reload and with all the target shooting I have done, I had to to keep cost down. This said If I were to just hunt, I would never find the need to relaod with all the quality ammo we now have. My favorites are Winchester Silver tips and Hornady custom ammo. I have had good luck with Remingtons good ammo as well And Federals Premium stuff is FANTASTIC. As someone else here said, it is a good Idea to buy several boxes at once with the same lot numbers. Hope I didn't tell you twice what you wanted to know.

Edited by - James B on 01/03/2003 21:35:57