HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your shooting history (spin-off of "age for starting" thread)
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 PM
James B
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Your shooting history (spin-off of "age for starting" thread)

My Grandparent bought all the Grandsons a BB gun for their 6TH birthday. About 2 years later I got a .22 caliber pellet gun which I used for cottontails and squirrels. My Dad who was not a hunter gave me his old bolt action 20 GA shotgun when I was 12. ASlso that year he bought us an old Eddiestone 30-06 which I used for my first deer season. Had to be 12 in our state to get your first deer permit
When I was 14 my Grandpa gave me his old Winchester pump 22 with the exposed hammer.

I was raised on a farm and hunted almost every day from the first day I got my bb gun until the day I joined the Navy. I hunted on the way to school and on the way home and almost every weekend. In 1975 I got into reloading. My dad didn't hunt much but I had lots of Uncles and cousins who did and a couple Uncles that were PH's who I worked for several summers.

Enjoy it while you are young because it gets harder every year as you grow older. You can still do it but the mornings get earlier and everything gets heavier and harder to do. However its been a hugh part of my life and my wife hunts with me. She loves it too. Just another old farm girl.