HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Back country hunts and boots!!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 10:15 AM
elkbane

Default RE: Back country hunts and boots!!

I have a pair of Danners and I love them (I have the Grouse but they make several good models).Good ankle support, tough boot and most importantly - don't give me blisters after walking all day. When it comes to insulation remember that you will need less of it hunting elk or mule deer in the mountains than you would hunting in oklahoma (I'm assuming you are whitetail from a stand, but correct me if i'm wrong) because you will be walking all day and you will warm up very quickly. If you are hunting archery season you will need little or no insulation. Rifle season you will need a little more, but probably not more than 600. In addition to boots, make sure to buy good wool socks that fit will. They are also very important to avoid blisters. Bridgedale, Thorlo and Smartwool all make good socks. Finally, make sure you have a chance to break them in long before your trip. The pack in is no time to break your boots in - it will be blister city and your hunt will be miserable. Go for some long walks or "mini-hikes" in your boots this summer until they are broken in.