HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - age for starting to shoot
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 03:18 AM
Crew Dawg
Fork Horn

Default RE: age for starting to shoot

My son was already three when i met my wife. So he didn't start shooting until he was almost four. I bought him a Henry Mini Bolt .22 and he has been burning shells ever since. He has shot my wifes 243 from the bench a couple times and holds it under an inch. I take him squirell hunting all the time. My daughter started shooting my Bearcat at 15 months. She is now 3 and has a pink Crickett rifle that she asks to shoot constantly. I also bought them a pair of recurves from Rhino archery. They have bouth taken several Armidllios and possums. Some will tell you it depends on their maturity. You cant expect a lot of maturaty from a child that young. But they are very good kids and listen and pay attention. They do really understand just how dangerous a fire arm can be. Shelby automaticaly checks her chamber when i give her her rifle and puts her safety on as soon as she closes the bolt. Ryan is now eight and i do not hesitate to let him hunt. There are adults i would not be in the same county with, when they pick up a weapon. The question is, do you think your child is ready?