HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks
Old 02-12-2007, 03:18 AM
Phil from Maine
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Coyote tracks, Coyote tracks and more coyote tracks

It's not the number of coyotes that is causing problems in urban/suburban areas (like Framingham or Mattapan) it is their behavior. People in these neighborhoods allow coyotes to develop this behavior.
Is that why up here there is no closed season on them and they still kill house pets as well as livestock? Because we let them learn to do it by shooting them? Get real, coyotes here are hybred cross with a wolve, and are not afraid of very much when it comes to eating. Here they have folks that will go into towns and try to get rid of the ones that come into them and kill pets. They still like to come into towns all over here too, and we didn't teach them that trick either. After last years mild winter though there numbers have dropped a little as they had a hard time catching deer that was not yarding up. So we all hope we do not get much more snow here to help those coyotes starve themselves out.

Just have a little respect
Yeah we respect them alright when they have been shot!

I meant to add this. This is a photo of a moose antler that a coyote chewed last winter. Normally coyotes do not chew on theses, and when they do hardly ever to this extent. I am under the impression this one was starving as they had thined out the deer herd there and rabbits are no where to be found. I had also found one in another area chewed completely in half.