HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Illinois hunters! Has anyone heard about the 290" buck.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:14 AM
whitetailcrazy
Fork Horn

Default RE: Illinois hunters! Has anyone heard about the 290" buck.

Dischuett, that's just someone stating his opinion. If you want to make that argument, then you certainly can't leave out Kansas. I won't argue with anyone about which state is better to hunt in. It's not the state, its the area which you hunt, and if you and your neighbors practice Quality Deer Management. I also believe Indiana has all kinds of potential, but a deer season which is to drawn out. They're taking steps to improve there deer herd, by limiting there hunters to a 1 buck limit. But as we know that's only for law-abiding hunters. As long as there is no-kind of check station, there is no chance for honest management figures. That's were Illinois has taken a step backwards, stating, it cost to much to have check stations. When 85% of check stations were manned on a volunteer basis, only state parks were not a volunteer station, so I don't know how they can make that claim.
As for this past season, Ohio had definately made its mark in the B&C book. There were some definate monsters taken out of that state this year........ So you know the genetics are there. Illinois outfitters are going to be pricing themselves out of buisiness.. Illinois has gotten much of there publicity through the television, and outfitters have upped there prices accordingly.. If I was a non-resident looking for a place to hunt, now-a-days, it sure wouldn't be Illinois. I would be looking at states like Indiana and Ohio, were prices probably wouldn't be as high, and the probabilty of shooting a 140+ class buck or better, would be just as good or maybe even better!