HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How do you keep a tent warm at 11,000 ft ?
Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 PM
huntinglife

Default RE: How do you keep a tent warm at 11,000 ft ?

Fawn

Status: online Had my first elk hunt this past year and one of our biggest problems was keeping warm. We had two tents, one with propane heater and one with wood stove. The propane heater couldnt get enough air to burn very hot and the wood stove had to be rip snortin hot to draft enough, which made it too hot in that tent. Is there something else that burns better at altitude ? Like maybe coal............

Would welcome advice from some seasoned pros.............
I have used coal before in a wood stove before and it works great. If the stove does not leak smoke, coal is fine and will last through the night. If it is a smoky stove though, do not add the coal because the smoke is not really good for you! Also Coal is a pain in the butt to pack in unless you are using horses.

That being said.. Check out the stoves at:
http://cylinderstoves.com/catalog/stoves-c-21.html?gclid=CJeM-uDtnYoCFQQRgQodTh28fQ
and buy the best one you can get your hands on! Burn it really hot and then shut it down to Medium just as you get into bed and it should draft fine! I have never had much problem with these stoves. Buy the stove according to the size of your tent!

No matter what, every day you get the opportunity, run a pine bough through the pipe to clean it out and keep it soot free!

Good Luck.. Better to be too warm then too cold!