HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2002, 07:24 PM
model722

Default RE: Point Restrictions Isn't the answer....

Cajun I believe you are an ethical hunter, but can you say that the other thousands of hunters out there are the same way? All you need to do is read a paper and you can see there are dead deer in the woods left by hunters. I'm not saying that they are bad hunters, but sometimes excitment does get the better of a person especially the newer hunters with itchy fingers. They see a deer they know it is deffinatlly a buck ,but excitement makes them think they have a 4point instead of a 3point. Maybe it was cloudy that day, maybe the deer was standing next to a tree that made it look like it had an extra point, etc... Then again are we trying to judge a deer's age by the size of his rack? Most hunters know that you can't judge a deer's age by his rack. I know that we should let the little guys go. Instead of putting restrictions on everything maybe there should be better hunting coarses. I shot a deer this year, new for a fact it was a 4point, until I walked over and saw that 2 points had been broke off. Am I a Bad hunter because I didn't realize this was a 6 point? I don't think so. I figure the deer was ATLEAST 4 years old so did I take a young buck? Was my shot unethical? The deer in my area don't get big racks, not enough nutrients in the area. So if there were an antler restriction in my area I quess except for a few deer(very few) there wouldn't be any taken. Antler restrictions might work in someplaces, but it will not solve all the problems. I think that some people are more worried about getting a trophy instead of worrying about whats happening to hunting. The real reason people want antler restrictions is so that it will better there chances of a trophy in years to come. I'm not saying that anybodies reason for hunting is wrong, but why do we have to keep adding laws to the hunt. Like I've said before I don't hunt for a big rack I have nothing to prove I hunt for meat. I only shoot mature deer that are of good size. the smallest deer I've taken still weighed 150# after being gutted if I get a big rack then yahoo good for me. Here's another question for you if you see a 12point standing next to an 8point both are easy shoots which one are you going to take??? One more thing the 12point weighs 175, and the 8 point weighs 250+. Now lets pretend it's the year 2030 and there is a new antler restriction you can only shoot deer with more then 9points. What I'm getting at is when is enough going to be enough and are we shooting the deer or are we shooting its rack.