HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions
Old 02-05-2007, 01:07 AM
AlaskaMagnum

Default Breeds you have owned, own, and opinions

Just curious what you have owned in the past and now own, if you will switch, or if you have finally "found" your breed.

retrievers- I have had about six labs starting with pups fromdifferent friendshunting dog, atwo from UKC hunt test lines, and two with truly high powered pedigrees FC sire and damn.

spaniels - one little english cocker
one field bred springer

pointers - one Fiddler bred english pointer

versatiles - one Dixieland's Rusty linebred x German Kurzhaar GSP;
two VDD Deutsch Drahthaars

My favorites (in order)-

The drahts have been a great surprise. Everything I want in a dog plus easy to train, tough but biddible, and good watch dogs. Sure glad I found this breed. It will take something special to make me change breeds now.

The two UKC hunt test labs were nice easy handling fun dogs to work with.Neither could have won a field trial, but we played quite a few doggy games and did pretty well. Hated to see them go.

The GSP is a pleasure to own, calm, serious, and a hunting machine. Matured quickly, took to training well, and is a perfect gentlemen in the house.

Field Springer - a nifty little dog that did everything with a spunk and a sparkle in his eyes. Nothing better than watching a springer hard flush a rooster.

The not-so favorites (in order)

Two FC-bred labs. These dogs were mentally out of balance. Both were neurotic, never seemed to calm down well, and were destructive. They were strictly kennel dogs in the end, never could get them to chill out a bit in the house. Both had health problems. Cataracts on one, elbows on the other one.

English cocker - OH MY GOD! He put the H in hyperactive. If he were lab-sized he probably would be my least favorite dog. Luckily, his small stature limited the trouble he could cause to some degree. Still he was a fiestly little bugger who did it all fairly well. It was sitting in the blind with the little monster that grew tiring.

Fiddler pointer - beautiful to watch, amazing bird finder, but pretty much one-dimensional. If I lived in Texas, I would have a couple just like him. By the Grace of God, I don't live in Texas, so I don't have any more. Liked to spin in circles in his kennel like an idiot -- I understand lots of Fiddler bred dogs do that.

Backyard bred labs - nice enough dogs, I just kind of outgrew their abilities. Good meat dogs though, and hey, for $200 bucks, they were well worth it. Probably the right dog for a young guy just getting his feet wet.

I would like to hear what other breeds you guys have owned and your opinions of the dogs you owned and trained.