HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should I or shouldn't I?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 06:08 PM
Cara
Spike

Default RE: Should I or shouldn't I?

I am thinking if I feed him up and get him conditioned, teach him some basicmannersand run that kennel frustration out of him, he will be a more appealing prospect for a new owner. I'm sure you can imagine how a GSP that hasn't been out ofthe kennel in2 weeks looks. Luckily he is already fixed and house broken, and I am off work for a couple of weeks to supervise. It makes me so mad when people throw dogs out because they're not what they wanted, when they haven't taken the time to work with them. He had come into the pound as a stray a couple of months ago and been adopted, but the adopters returned him because they 'found a better dog elsewhere.' He'd have to be an amazingly good dog to keep him long term though, we already have two just over a yr old, and this one hasn't even turned 1! I thought it was supposed to be the other way around, the man begging for more hunting dogs. I know better than to suggest a second Bloodhound though, I have been told mine counts as 3 dogs.

I'm wondering if I jail break him and get him out meeting people if it will be a lot easier to 'sell' him. I could ask around amongst the SAR group, although they are all Shepherd people. They may have contacts. My main aim is to buy him time to either find the right home or turn him around so he'd make a better companion. I don't have the first idea of how to test his hunting abilities. I'd imagine he's either never been started or turned out to be gun shy if he was turned in at such a young age.