HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Semi or Pump??
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Paul L Mohr

Default RE: Semi or Pump??

I agree, honestly you probably won't get a second shot off anyway unless you handle recoil very well. I started with a mossberg bantam pump and 3 inch mags. It worked pretty well and the ported barrel helped with muzzle jump with real heavy loads. Didn't do anything for light loads though.

I eventually traded that and some other guns in to get a dedicated slug gun. Then I bought a H&R pump that I was going to use as my turkey gun. After getting that gun though I decided I wanted a semi just for giggles, I had never owned one. I ended up getting a used A-5 stalker light in 12 ga with a 21 inch barrel for a very good price. This will be my new turkey gun for now. Even though it only shoots 2 3/4 loads. The new Fiochi high speed pheasant loads are very impressive and I think that is what I will use along with an extra full choke.

I'm not using the A-5 because it's an auto, I'm using it because it fits me well, it's rugged and I like it.

I may get a 10 ga turkey barrel for my H&R ultra slug gun though.

I laughed when I read about racking another shell from the recoil. I actually did that with my buddies 3.5 inch remington. It kicked so hard I ejected the shell and half way racked another into the chamber.

Paul