HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - WHAT IS E MOST ACCURATE GUN..
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:54 AM
M77man

Default RE: WHAT IS E MOST ACCURATE GUN..

ORIGINAL: metau

RR-just out of curiosity, what is the caliber? I would also like to know other specifications as I am looking at building a custom rifle of my own. PM me please.

Scopeye-Where to start....first of all, most mainstream firarms will shoot better than the person shooting them. Most, but not all. Second, several cartridges are inherantly more accurate than others. Third, hand-loading increases accuracy and consistancy immensly. The ability to accuratly make a shot on a big game animal at 300 yds is not hard with what is available these days. Most important is you. Now making a center mass or head shot on a guy firing at you with an RPK from over 600 meters away is a COMPLETELY differant stiory(not to mention something I hope you never experiance). I have comments to make about going toWest Point and your thoughts of joining the Marines, more specificaly of you wanting to become a sniper,but those are of a private nature. What I can tell you is that as an Army sniper or a Marine Sniper-Scout, most of your shotswill be taken with the 7.62 NATO round(.308win). SF units employ .50bmg, several units use.300 win mag'sand Iknow ofONEunit currently in deployment that has received a .338 Lapua. As a recent former member of the military, I can tell you that if you go to West Point, you will NEVER be an actual sniper. You may have a chance to attend the school(doubt it though) but as an officer, you will never be deployed in the field as one. Sorry to burst your bubble, but best you know the truth beforehand. Also, if becoming a sniper is your dream, realize that odds are against you in doing so. The Marine's Sniper-Scout School is one the toughest to past in all of the military. Odds are better at becoming a Navy Seal than a Marine Sniper-Scout. Now, I am not trying to discourage you, but as I said, it is best you know the truth. And last of all, should you join the military, given current situations, I must forewarn you: taking a human life is something that most people cannot easily deal with(even in a wartime situation).

None of this is to say that you are not capable of becoming what you want to be. I accomplished this goal myself. BUT, I just want you to know of what it is that you are trying to obtain, the sacrifices that are required, and what obsticles lay ahead. I wish you nothing but the absolute BEST of luck in any path you choose.

Jerry
Nice reply metau. He's a Hollywood recruit right now, if he's even in the delayed entry program yet,and will find out the hard way if he does accept the challenge of becoming one of the few and the proud. I don't know about your assumption that becoming a military sniper is more difficult then becoming a Navy Seal though? From what I've heard and seen, only 3 out of every 12 become SEALS and are completely broken down to where they're minds cannot even function to the point that they don't even know who they are any more. Either way, they're both comparably tough beach heads that strike quickly and efficiently without being noticed. Most people don't know just how good the CIA are either.

Also, if he were serious, then he wouldn't be sitting at his desk on a forum dreaming. He would be hard core and working out non-stop.