HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Global Warming
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 11:40 AM
36fan
Spike

Default RE: Global Warming

ORIGINAL: PastorHunter

Many scientists have proven that it is nothing more than a natural cycle that could change and reverse at any time.
Nothing has been proven by either side. I'm a geologist and I've had some courses dealing with subject - the latest was titled Midwest Paleoclimate, which pretty much dealt with the changes that occurred that allowed to the glaciers to advance and retreat from the midwest (a truly fascinating subject). The best data/research being done currently supports the theory that temperatures are rising, and will continue to rise. At the current rate, all the glaciers are expected to be gone from Glacier National Park in ~20 years.

Many try to dismiss this as a natural variation in the climate; however, the changes that we are being observed are unprecedented in the natural record. The largest issue is the nearly exponential increase of CO2 observed in the upper atmosphere. The quantities that are currently being observed along the lines of what was recorded during periods of mass volcanism on the planet.

In the US, it is predicted that the weather patterns will be become warmer and wetter – which result in more severe weather (including hurricanes). As the polar cap on the north pole melts, don’t expect Florida to go under water; however, when the polar ice cap on the south pole melts, that’s a different story - since there is actually land under there (I always liked the analogy, if you have a glass of ice water, and the ice melts, does the glass overflow?)