HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - .270WSM vs Antelope/Mule Deer
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2007, 12:53 PM
G2 Shooter

Default .270WSM vs Antelope/Mule Deer

I have a .270WSM that I am thinking about using for a possible hunt in Montana this fall. We will go for Antelope, Mule Deer and Whitetail Deer if time permits. I started thinking about different calibers to take with me and I was looking at Chuck Hawks table of "MBPR" and thought about using the .270WSM for this hunt.

I have read all of the ballistic charts for trajectory and energy at different distances but I only have one real world experience to base everything on. That was a big, Whitetail doe I shot 2 years ago. I was using Winchester Supreme 130gr Ballistic Tips, there wasn't a lot of choices for ammo back then. Anyway, at 80 yards, the bullet passed right through her without doing much damage other than a 3/8" inch hole straight through. She ran about 230 yards. The bullets performance, or lack of, really made me doubt the ability of the round so the rifle has sat in my safe since.

Sooo, after that long winded history lesson, my question is to anyone who has used a .270WSM for Antelope and/or Mule Deer. How well does it perform? Where you using factory ammo and what brand/type was it? I don't have the ability to reload ammo so factory ammo is it. The good news is that there are more than 3 choices of ammo for it now.

I would guess that it does very well but I have no experience myself. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.