HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - lets talk Fred Bear (just finished a book on him)
Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: lets talk Fred Bear (just finished a book on him)

Do you not think it happens today anyway ? Its just not talked about ! I know a lot of compounders push the 60-70 yard and beyond ranges with their bows, especially out west.
I have no doubts that it happens, but it's not accepted by the general hunting community.

Why do we consider it unethical ?
Probably because these dayseven though most still eat the meat, far fewer rely on it and/or will go hungry without it. My grandfather learned to kill rabbits with rocks--and it wasn't for bragging rights. He was raised by an older brother, because his father died before he was born and his mother shortly afterward. They were too poor to be able to afford shotgun shells. Rocks were free, and if you were good enough they would kill a rabbit. Chunking rocks at rabbits these days would be considered unethical, even cruel,and probably illegal in some states.

Are there "good ways" vs "bad ways" to try and kill an animal ?
IMO, yes. As quickly and painlessly as possible, and in a way that the animal can be recovered and utilizedis the right way.

That is all true however the more I read, the more it seems that Fred Bear was very big into the Hunt, and not the Kill, which would indicate to me he had a very high moral standard.
I think he did too, but who gets to define morals in this case? Fred took risky shots, blunted some big game animals just to see if he could get in range and hit one, invented the pod, etc. Even though I wouldn't do many of the things he did, I think he was a pioneer. Some would call some of the things he did immoral.

Could it be ......... that we as Hunters have lost something in the wake of the Animal Rights movements ? Are we maybe somehow scared at being a hunter ?
Some probably are afraid of being labeled as a hunter, some just hold firmly to fair chase rules. Personally, I'm not the least bit afraid or ashamed of being a hunter, or an archer, but I am aware of the impression we give the public. There's a lot of non-hunters whose opinions could be swayed by a slob--and they vote. That's one reason I was determined to defend archery equipment in your other thread--never know who might be reading these boards, and some folks could get the wrong impression.

Chad