HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Rut
Thread: Elk Rut
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 09:08 PM
idahoelkinstructor
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Rut

I too agree with all of the above. One thing to remember, once the elk are in full rut it becomes harder to call in the big boys, meaning the herd bulls. They don't mind calling their head off at a distance but most of the time theyrealy don't want to fight and risk loosing theirherd either. During the peak of the rut, thebigger bullsin my experiencewhen pressured by (us) human elk. Instead coming in to fightthey will turn and run 9 times out of 10. So I use bull calls sparingly during this time of the season (peak of the rut), its great to usebull calls to locate all the other bulls around,but to actualy call thebulls up close, its better left to the cow call IMO. Of course each situation is different and needs to be judged and acted uponthen and there depending how the elk are acting. So I try to use a mix of a few bull calls along with many different cow calls. Even then nothing is 100% sure fire for bringing in the big bullsduring the peak of the rut. This is because they already have most if not all of the cows they can handle.Even withusingcow calls, they will not be sowilling to leave their cows, unattended for very long if at all like they were two weeks earlier. During the peaka lotof their cows areon the verge of going into estrus or they are comming out of it. Either way a bull doesn't want to risk loosing his own cows inattempttoadd one or two more to his herd. That is why I like sneeking in 100 yards and closerto the herd. I think having the shooterbeing60-80yards away from the herd is about perfect IMO. The caller on the other hand is best being 100-150 yards away or more from the shooter. When calling, if time allows I like to sneak inwith the shooter and then sneak back out behind him.Its not easy and sometimejust can't be done,but if you can then try it.The reason I like doingit,is then I know what the shooter is seeing. If I know that there is deep dark timber with no shooting lanes to the right of the shooter but to the left has several openings with many shooting lanes. Then I sure as heck don't want to pull the bull to the right but instead draw him in to the left. Of course it does't always go as planned but hey thats hunting. Well I could go on and on, but I say this that my favorite time to hunt is the pre rut, the first 10 days or so of the season. During that time the bulls don't call near as much but they are quicker to come in my experience. Some times they come in silent, other times they do call, but like others have said they don't call much compared to the peak. But that being said I have had the best resultscalling inbigger bulls early on. Hope this helps and if you have any more questions ask away.