HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a BP around $250
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 07:57 AM
gleason.chapman
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a BP around $250

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

A little extra advice. DO swab quite often. I learned the hard way what a difference constant swabbing can make. Muzzleloading's simple and quite easy if you do things right and take it slow.

Bingo--yes---amen! If you look here, page 37 of 64:

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Omega_Muzzleloader_Manual.pdf

you will find the TC recommended procedure for Sabot bullets in an Omega. I don't think they put this statement in the manual just for the heck of it. Most ML hunters learn from others, and if you learned the wrong thing with regard to shooting and cleaningfrom your hunting buddies, it will produce an inaccurate rifle. So I 2ndoutdoorslover recommendation, but take it one step further, swab between every shot, it can be bore butter (2x) which is what I do, or alcohol swab (2x), or windshield washer fluid followed by a dry patchwhatever---now this will blow you mind---even in the field. So you really have a single shot rifle, forget the speed loaders, those are for folks that miss a lot (:->, just kidding they are convenient loaders), therefore need the speed. Now if your finishing off an animal, sure jam one down and finish it off. Don't relaod, swab the barrel right away and you will be amazed at the amount of fouling that just 2 patches can remove. Makes it so so much easier to load and do consistent shooting.
Chap Gleason VA