HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for a BP around $250
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 PM
outdoorslover

Default RE: Looking for a BP around $250

How does your Omega shoot conicals, likemaxiball, maxi-hunters, GPs, or powerbelts? If you ever try them, do report your findings.

I haven't shot any bullets except for sabots and PB's. I have about a hundred bullets I wanna try but don't have themoney for them. That's why I decide to just stick with my XTP's. I've tried them and know they work and are cheaply priced. I wanna test real blackpowder but don't have the money for that either.

The gun guy told my Dad that stainless is the way to go with black powder guns. He is going to make a deal for the stainless Omega.He said not to worry about the money, he would take care of it.He is always having me do wood working projects, so I guess that willhelp pay for it. Thanks for all the help.When it starts warming up some, I will take your suggestions on bullets andstart shooting. Do any of you shoot the pellets? I have a 3x 9 Simmons thatI willuse, not much of an open sight shooter. Whatbrand of primers do you guys suggest? If anybody wants to find prettydecent prices on gun then go towww.gunbrokers.com.

I certainly favored the stainless steel whenI had the Winchester Apex. I would probably get it if I could. I'm perfectly fine with black though. I don't think the camo stockis worth the extra cash--I just buy blue. I think the camo looks cool but isn't practical--it's just a way to get more money.

Buy yourself some Pyrodex, TC Shockwaves or XTP's in 240 or 300 grain, and Winchester Triple Seven or CCI 209 primers. Start with 90 grains Pyrodex and work your way up. See what shoots best in your gun. You can't go wrong with that stuff. It's flawless. My favorite thing to shoot out of mine until further notice is the 300 grain XTP, 110 grains loose Pyrodex, and Triple Seven primers. It will work great on deer as well--I tested it. Sight it in 2 or 3 inches high at 50 yards and it'll impact about right on at 100 yards. I use open sights exclusively myself.

I think the pellets are a great concept but won't use them because of the price. Triple Seven powder should perform great as well as the Pyrodex. Your scope should be great. Make sure and watch your head when you shoot. The scope will wallop you right on your forehead if you're not careful. That's one of the reasons I don't use them.

You made an excellent choice and won't be disappointed. Best of luck to you.

A little extra advice. DO swab quite often. I learned the hard way what a difference constant swabbing can make. Muzzleloading's simple and quite easy if you do things right and take it slow.