HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - All Around Hand Gun
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2002, 09:18 AM
Bloodnativ

Default RE: All Around Hand Gun

"Ok, I'll be the first to admitt that pistols can jam while DA revolvers can't, but I never plan on mine jamming, and don't worry about it, because it doesn't happen."

If you don't plan on it, it will happen. It shouldn't be something you worry about but definately something you shouldn't rule out. if you don't plan for it it will catch you off guard at the worst moment. When I was in the Army we trained for just such a problem for hours at a time until we could do it under any concievable condition without thinking about it or breaking stride. Even now I still train for it. Even expensive guns can jam. My Kimber is not a cheap gun and has jammed on rare occassion. With proper training it is not a problem. "The only surprises are the ones you fail to train for".

"As far as home defense goes, basically we're talking about killing people, who does this for a living....military and police, no military faction has issued a revolver for duty since the late 70's."

The SEALs still use GP100s in .357mag. I very seriously doubt that anybody is going to doubt or question their lethality.

"Who cares about cycle rate....well, when I wake up at 4am and there's someone in my house, even in my room, I don't want to have to worry about what if I miss, I want to put as much lead in them as possible."

Most people are going to miss anyway because they are very disoriented when they wake up. This is even worse when they are startled awake as they would be in an intrusion senario. Even trained and combat experienced soldiers can forget about things like "switching off the safety" when startled awake in a combat situation. I have seen it happen. Only your first 3 or 4 shots are going to count anyway. After that you both will (hopefully) be moving for cover. Like Frizz said, if you need more than 6 shots you are in a war and need an airstrike. No intruder is going to hang around and shoot it out with you. A good 6 shot revolver with 1 reload is more firepower than anyone will need for personal defense.

Even though I love my Kimber I will have to go with the .357 here. As soon as I can afford it I will be purchasing a .357 revolver for personal defense at home and for carry.

Gscuttles, to answer your question, find a good revolver in .357 and you can rest assured that you will be adequately armed for your stated purpose.