HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Powder measure/working up a load
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Roskoe

Default RE: Powder measure/working up a load

To be honest, I usually jump up or down in 10 grain increments. You don't often hear of a MZ load calling for 78.4 gr of powder, like you do in CF reloading. I use a Traditions brass volumetric powder measure. I have alsotried calculating volume to weight conversion factors; and weighing charges at home on a powder scale - putting them in small containers to be used later at the range.This appeared to be a waste of time.

Like many on this board, I have burned up a lot of powder and bullets playing around with loads. I see you are shooting an Encore. If you want a magnum class hunting load, I wouldtry either 130 gr. of Pyrodex pellets or 130 gr. of 2F Jim Shockey Gold. Since you are from Colorado, I'm assuming you plan to hunt during the MZ season and will want to use the loose powder. As far as bullets go, the 250 Shockwave is hard to beat as a "go to" bullet. But in Colorado, that won't fly. Try the 338 gr. Platinum Powerbelt. In answer to your question, I usually start with a bullet and try all the appropriate powder charges rather than vice versa. I have not, so far, found primers to make a big difference. The 209's made for MZ rifles, though,seem to group a little better and have a lower SD of velocity.

For target shooting, charges in the 70 to 100 gr. level are usually going to be your best bet. This is where the fine tuning of load development can really pay off. Often, powders like Goex, 777,or loose Pyrodex produce the best groups at these velocities. There are other variables - like swabbing, seating pressure, and even QLA concentricity - that can make asignificant difference in group size. Some folks I know use nothing but two 50 gr. Pyrodex pellets for accuracy testing. Everything else becomes a "variable". And, to some degree, each gun is its own little DNA molecule when it comes to what it likes or doesn't like.